Feb 6, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
Life seemed kinda cool for Edmonton Oilers fans for about 4-5 days, but it seems like the mood is shifting back to misery.
Dropping a sloppy 6-3 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs is bad enough, but their wunderkind forward Ryan Nugent-Hopkins seemed to re-injure his left shoulder after taking a hit from Mike Brown. RNH did not return to the game.
That’s a bummer, but some are taking this as more than just a nagging issue. The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater brings up a troubling thought: could his shoulder issues be the by-product of RNH simply being too small for the NHL?
People certainly weren’t asking those questions when the splendid playmaker was lighting up the league as a rookie earlier in the season, yet this might just open up the discussion again. Do you think that the Oilers should be worried, though?
On the bright side, Sam Gagner picked up an assist to push him to 12 points in his last three games.
Still, with RNH’s injury and Edmonton’s bigger picture headaches in mind, Gagner’s red-hot ways might not amount to much more than a shiny object to shake at Oilers fans who need a distraction. (I mean, unless the Oilers decide to strike while the trading iron is hot with Gagner, which is something Nick Kypreos suggests.)
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)