Feb 6, 2012, 10:02 PM EST
Life seemed kinda cool for Edmonton Oilers fans for about 4-5 days, but it seems like the mood is shifting back to misery.
Dropping a sloppy 6-3 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs is bad enough, but their wunderkind forward Ryan Nugent-Hopkins seemed to re-injure his left shoulder after taking a hit from Mike Brown. RNH did not return to the game.
That’s a bummer, but some are taking this as more than just a nagging issue. The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater brings up a troubling thought: could his shoulder issues be the by-product of RNH simply being too small for the NHL?
People certainly weren’t asking those questions when the splendid playmaker was lighting up the league as a rookie earlier in the season, yet this might just open up the discussion again. Do you think that the Oilers should be worried, though?
On the bright side, Sam Gagner picked up an assist to push him to 12 points in his last three games.
Still, with RNH’s injury and Edmonton’s bigger picture headaches in mind, Gagner’s red-hot ways might not amount to much more than a shiny object to shake at Oilers fans who need a distraction. (I mean, unless the Oilers decide to strike while the trading iron is hot with Gagner, which is something Nick Kypreos suggests.)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 12
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 6
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 36
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)