Feb 6, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
“I lost my breath,” Leopold told the Buffalo News. “I was looking back and I kind of yelled, “Are you all right? Are you all right?’ Right away, no. That wasn’t a good thing.”
More, from Sabres beat writer Mike Harrington:
Leopold was working in a 1-on-1 drill with Ville Leino and lost his balance, sliding to the ice and barreling into Ruff from behind.
Ruff went airbone and landed hard on the ice, letting out a scream as his body crumpled that echoed through the empty arena.
Trainers quickly attended to Ruff and he gingerly left the ice after a couple minutes clearly favoring his right leg and his right shoulder.
Ruff, 51, is the NHL’s longest-tenured coach and second-longest in professional sports, trailing only Gregg Popovich of the San Antonio Spurs. He signed a multi-year extension to continue coaching the Sabres in April 2011.
“I know Lindy is a tough guy, played a lot of games in the NHL and played through a lot of injuries,” Leopold added. “Your body ends up hurting more and more the older you get but that was one of those unexpected ones.
“Those are dangerous.”
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 13
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 13
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 32
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)