Feb 6, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
“I lost my breath,” Leopold told the Buffalo News. “I was looking back and I kind of yelled, “Are you all right? Are you all right?’ Right away, no. That wasn’t a good thing.”
More, from Sabres beat writer Mike Harrington:
Leopold was working in a 1-on-1 drill with Ville Leino and lost his balance, sliding to the ice and barreling into Ruff from behind.
Ruff went airbone and landed hard on the ice, letting out a scream as his body crumpled that echoed through the empty arena.
Trainers quickly attended to Ruff and he gingerly left the ice after a couple minutes clearly favoring his right leg and his right shoulder.
Ruff, 51, is the NHL’s longest-tenured coach and second-longest in professional sports, trailing only Gregg Popovich of the San Antonio Spurs. He signed a multi-year extension to continue coaching the Sabres in April 2011.
“I know Lindy is a tough guy, played a lot of games in the NHL and played through a lot of injuries,” Leopold added. “Your body ends up hurting more and more the older you get but that was one of those unexpected ones.
“Those are dangerous.”
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 3
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 35
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)