Feb 6, 2012, 2:03 PM EST
“I lost my breath,” Leopold told the Buffalo News. “I was looking back and I kind of yelled, “Are you all right? Are you all right?’ Right away, no. That wasn’t a good thing.”
More, from Sabres beat writer Mike Harrington:
Leopold was working in a 1-on-1 drill with Ville Leino and lost his balance, sliding to the ice and barreling into Ruff from behind.
Ruff went airbone and landed hard on the ice, letting out a scream as his body crumpled that echoed through the empty arena.
Trainers quickly attended to Ruff and he gingerly left the ice after a couple minutes clearly favoring his right leg and his right shoulder.
Ruff, 51, is the NHL’s longest-tenured coach and second-longest in professional sports, trailing only Gregg Popovich of the San Antonio Spurs. He signed a multi-year extension to continue coaching the Sabres in April 2011.
“I know Lindy is a tough guy, played a lot of games in the NHL and played through a lot of injuries,” Leopold added. “Your body ends up hurting more and more the older you get but that was one of those unexpected ones.
“Those are dangerous.”
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)