Feb 6, 2012, 4:55 PM EST
Well, one of the names Garrioch mentioned was Columbus captain Rick Nash.
Confirm or deny: The cellar-dwelling Blue Jackets may finally be ready to accept reality and they could be willing to deal captain Rick Nash. If that’s the case, they’re going to want a big return: A top young player, a prospect and a first-round pick. The Rangers and Kings are interested.
Considering the source, we took it with a grain of salt – just Garrioch being Garrioch.
But then we read what Sportsnet reporter John Shannon wrote today:
I have received a couple of calls from friends of Nash, who claim that Rick is very unhappy with the way the franchise is going and realizes it will take five more years to rebuild, again. Nash is now telling people close to him that he would entertain being moved, but still will not be the one who asks for a trade.
Now, it should be noted:
1. Get out of town! Nash is unhappy with the way the franchise is going? Come on, really? We thought he’d be thrilled.
2. Nash already said a month ago he wouldn’t stand in the way of a trade.
So what Shannon reported shouldn’t really surprise anyone, but it does make you wonder – will it ever come to the point where Nash asks out?
Put yourself in his shoes. You’re 27 years old. You’re a former first overall pick. You’ve scored 276 career goals. You’re good enough to make Team Canada and win Olympic gold. Aaaaaand you’ve played a grand total of four playoff games in the NHL.
Now imagine your team’s last overall, the organization’s a laughing stock, the fans are staging protests, and you have to suffer* through another rebuild.
* As much as someone can suffer making $7.8 million a year.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)