Feb 6, 2012, 4:55 PM EDT
Well, one of the names Garrioch mentioned was Columbus captain Rick Nash.
Confirm or deny: The cellar-dwelling Blue Jackets may finally be ready to accept reality and they could be willing to deal captain Rick Nash. If that’s the case, they’re going to want a big return: A top young player, a prospect and a first-round pick. The Rangers and Kings are interested.
Considering the source, we took it with a grain of salt – just Garrioch being Garrioch.
But then we read what Sportsnet reporter John Shannon wrote today:
I have received a couple of calls from friends of Nash, who claim that Rick is very unhappy with the way the franchise is going and realizes it will take five more years to rebuild, again. Nash is now telling people close to him that he would entertain being moved, but still will not be the one who asks for a trade.
Now, it should be noted:
1. Get out of town! Nash is unhappy with the way the franchise is going? Come on, really? We thought he’d be thrilled.
2. Nash already said a month ago he wouldn’t stand in the way of a trade.
So what Shannon reported shouldn’t really surprise anyone, but it does make you wonder – will it ever come to the point where Nash asks out?
Put yourself in his shoes. You’re 27 years old. You’re a former first overall pick. You’ve scored 276 career goals. You’re good enough to make Team Canada and win Olympic gold. Aaaaaand you’ve played a grand total of four playoff games in the NHL.
Now imagine your team’s last overall, the organization’s a laughing stock, the fans are staging protests, and you have to suffer* through another rebuild.
* As much as someone can suffer making $7.8 million a year.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5