Feb 6, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Turns out that registering the NHL’s first eight-point game in 23 years doesn’t just get you league-wide acclaim — it also nets you some accolades.
Accolades are exactly what Edmonton’s Sam Gagner received on Monday as he was named the NHL’s first star of the week. The 22-year-old forward set am Oilers franchise record by recording a point on 11 straight goals, finishing with an eye-popping 12 points in wins over the Avalanche, Blackhawks and Red Wings — all told, Edmonton is now 4-0-1 in its last five games while Gagner has vaulted into fifth in team scoring.
Second star of the week went to New Jersey’s Ilya Kovalchuk. The Russian captain led the Devils to four straight post-All-Star break wins: He scored a power-play goal against the Rangers, then recorded three straight three-point performances, finishing with 3G-7A-10PTS for the week.
Kovalchuk also beefed up his reputation by fighting — and dropping — Philadelphia Flyers forward Brayden Schenn:
Third star of the week went to Toronto goalie James Reimer. While he only started two games last week, Optimus Reim made ‘em count, stopping all 74 shots he faced in posting consecutive shutouts against the Penguins (1-0) and Senators (5-0). The clean sheet against Ottawa in the Battle of Ontario was especially impressive as Reimer made 49 saves to move Toronto within one point of the Sens for 7th place in the Eastern Conference.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 7
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 30
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 46
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 17
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 94
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (94)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat, Pacers go to overtime in Game 1
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games