In non-hockey news, we’re cracking down on commenters

Feb 6, 2012, 1:44 PM EDT

Warning

Most of PHT’s commenters are great. However, some aren’t and ruin it for everyone else. As such, we’re going to be cracking down starting now.

Things that will get you banned:

—- Abusive language.

—- Making the same dumb comments over and over.

—- General nastiness that makes it clear you’re not a very happy person.

There will be no further warnings. You’ll just be gone.

1. mrskunitzdrippinlips - Feb 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM

soup can army for life!!!!

2. spizzjr - Feb 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Well this is ridiculous

3. hystoracle - Feb 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Sounds like one good Boston – Vancouver game would clean up half the riff-raff. Those clashes seem to bring out the worst in people.

4. jamesmakesurmomneil - Feb 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Thought this was site was prohockeyTALK? Censorship will ruin this site for me personally. Reading the comments on some of these stories is downright hilarious!!! Let people know not to read them if they are easily offended… Step up!!! Soupcan army 4 life

• letangshair - Feb 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

exactly. the stories without ridiculously great comments like mine and my bros only get like 5 comments max anyway. if anything else we spark discussions/arguments. anyway you look at it, it’s good for the site. I come back to check if anyone thumbs downs my posts or replied to them at all. commenting has gone noticeably up in the past few weeks. just be a man about it and don’t cry to the admins, just skip the comments if you don’t like em. its pretty easy, have some self control fellas.

• Jason Brough - Feb 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM

You seem to be convinced you’re going to be banned. Why?

• imleftcoast - Feb 7, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Because the rules are so vague as to be arbitrary. How about:

Things that will get you banned:

—- Clearly vulgar language.

—- Posting comments repeatedly in order to defeat the comment process.

—- Personal attacks or physical threats.

In the first instance, you’ll be suspended for a week. Repeated incidence will result in a ban. With Brough and Halford as the judges forgetting about appeals to sense and reason.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Feb 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM

@multiplepersonalitypensfan: In case you haven’t noticed, most people on this sight are starting to avoid the articles that you post a bunch of lunacy on. You aren’t sparking discussions. What you’re usually doing is ruining the potential for a real discussion on entire articles.

5. velocirapist - Feb 6, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Should you ever ask Tim Thomas for an interview, expect him to rudely decline and provide a link to this article as an explanation

6. barkar942 - Feb 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Let the idiots talk stupid, but ban the ones that get obnoxiously rude. The idiot talk is entertaining!

7. fleurysteeth - Feb 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM

The comments are pure gold. Its hockey, so take a chill pill or sumthin.’ SoupCanArmy.

8. broadstbully33 - Feb 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM

hahaha maybe you should write stories about the nhl and not just cindy….did mike cry because people were picking on him

• Mike Halford - Feb 6, 2012 at 2:20 PM

THAT’S IT, YOU’RE BANNED.

/you’re not really banned

• danphipps01 - Feb 6, 2012 at 3:06 PM

You’re alright, Mike. You’re alright.

• velocirapist - Feb 6, 2012 at 4:37 PM

If you start banning people willy-nilly can you give it the Shanny treatment and make an awkward video explaining why?

• imleftcoast - Feb 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

No way this works without Shana-ban videos.

• hibackhand - Feb 9, 2012 at 1:27 PM

and Kitten videos… more kitten videos.

9. goalieguy37 - Feb 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM

thanks for doing this. too many people just hating and not really commenting. Just spewing bile doesn’t make for a discussion.

10. Clifford Cartwright - Feb 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

It’s about time. Thank you!

11. Stiller43 - Feb 6, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Depends on the limit here…but if that means less philly fans, then awesome!

• mjf63 - Feb 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Reeks of censorship. But it is your forum to do with as you please. Hell, I just got here.

• kellyb9 - Feb 6, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I’m fine with censorship as long as its not my goverment doing it.

• kellyb9 - Feb 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

More likely, its going to mean a lot less Pittsburgh fans… or at least a lot less of the same guy with 10 userids. I’m glad PHT is deciding to do this. PFT is basically all trolls, but HBT has some good fans over there. I think PHT could be like that with the right mix.

• atomicpenguin76 - Feb 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM

There’ll be just as many Penguins fans, there just won’t be one guy with 10 alt names featuring Pens player’s body parts making ridiculous comments in every thread.

12. letangshair - Feb 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM

ok let’s be real here,

you take away the comments and you take away 87% of the content on this site.

SOUPCANARMY

• elvispocomo - Feb 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM

It’s easy enough to ignore the idiots, but it really starts to get annoying to see the same user or even the same post over and over when it clearly does nothing to help things out. I don’t mind the swearing and the obviously uneducated commentary, but there’s gotta be some point were you’ve at least set a limit and can just make them go away.

13. eagleswineagleswin - Feb 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM

So much for freedom of speech. Just because I think Crosby is a punk and I am glad he is out injured is no reason to be banned.

14. psujay - Feb 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I’m noticing a pattern on this thread. …

15. buffalomafia - Feb 6, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Let them swear! Wtf! Lmfao!

16. govtminion - Feb 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Thank you, guys. It’s been embarrassing to post around here lately with some of the ridiculous crap being spewed here, glad to see things are changing. Much appreciated.

• bcousy - Feb 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Agreed. Thanks Brough, et al. I’d been boycotting the toxic comments section (aka bathroom wall) for the better part of a month until I saw this post.

17. metcarfre - Feb 6, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I believe the ProHockeyTalk government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and lols of the commenters.

“This is being done at the Brough, Halford, and Yerdon level. This is in direct opposition to the Internets and the Al Gore’s vision for the “the intertubes”.

“Because I believe this, today I exercise my right as an Anonymous Basement Dweller, and did not visit the nbcsports.com. This was not about Sidney Crosby or the Bruins, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a glorified link farm. This was about a choice I had to make as SOMEONE WITH ACCESS TO THE INTERNET .

“This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TTYL”

• danphipps01 - Feb 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Welp. You win at commenting forever. Well done.

• metcarfre - Feb 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I left about five too many “the”s in there

• blomfeld - Feb 7, 2012 at 12:07 AM

“today I exercise my right as an Anonymous Basement Dweller” …

I’m sorry friend, but you have no rights. You, I and the rest of us will do “as per instructed” and that’ll be the end of it. If anything, then we’re going to do exactly what they want … only “tenfold” ! Yes siree, at times like this, there is no room for hesitation or doubt … it’s full speed ahead with absolutely nothing standing in our way !

18. takingbovadasmoney - Feb 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM

So can we crack down on NBC Sports for writing the same articles over and over?

I’m in the best shape of my…

19. eddieapoc - Feb 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Usually I’m VERY anti censorship but in this case I’m on board with this. No shortage of trolls on sites like this. Now if you could just get PFT to get on board with the banning I would be a happy man.

20. danphipps01 - Feb 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM

So, um, PensbodypartX accounts, yea or nay? Because I’m pretty sure just about every other poster is pulling for “Nay.”

• fleurysteeth - Feb 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Nah Daniel, Yay. Have a heart.

21. comeonnowguys - Feb 6, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Just don’t mirror PFT’s process. I’ve seen (and contributed my share of) irrelevant and dumb (not to be confused with unfunny) comments that make it, where comments that are thought out get turned down because (assumedly) they had one snarky line in them.

22. vismund11 - Feb 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM

banning SoupCanSid comments and bad nicknames.

23. racksie - Feb 6, 2012 at 3:11 PM

My comments on PFT got delete for referring to Packer fans as cheesenecks. See cheesehead is just a tad too cutsie for me. That said, I’m guessing we won’t be hearing anything about Tim Thomas for a while? And I do support this initiative. The Mom’s basement trolls are entertaining, but I can get called names by a 13 year old anywhere on the internet.

24. creasemasta41 - Feb 6, 2012 at 3:14 PM

how about we kick out bostonfullofrats and call it a day?

• Jason Brough - Feb 6, 2012 at 3:17 PM

He was the first to go.

• back2backbees - Feb 6, 2012 at 3:21 PM

pittsburgpoonslayer and habsman next and that should about cover it

• elvispocomo - Feb 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM

pittspoon is up there for sure, but I don’t think I’d put habsman on the same level with that and bostonfullofrats. I mean there’s a difference between making bad comments (which I find a number of posters troll him about just to get him going) and obviously just being an ass.

• blomfeld - Feb 6, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Bostonfullofrats, Sharksfan, Habsman, Imleftcoast, etc …

Friends … let us choose the “path of decency” in terms of dealing with these troubled souls … for their wicked words are nothing more than cries for help. We must extend a hand to these people and assist them in pulling themselves from their suffering, for only then will they be able to see the light. Comrade Brough’s new censorship policies are indeed a big step in the right direction and so we can only hope that these troubled souls will take the cue ? If they don’t however and instead choose to continues with their wickedness, then there can be but only one solution ….

“Invite the infidel to the River Jordan and there where the current is strongest, push him into the raging waters, so that he may drown like the rat he is” …

25. broadstbully33 - Feb 6, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I realtor like most of the stories on here….just ease up cindy till there is an actual new devolpment in his retirement….thanks..and mike your not so bad

26. letangshair - Feb 6, 2012 at 4:38 PM

damn. i got banned.

27. yettyskills - Feb 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Oh in other words San Jose “off his meds” Shark fan is getting banned

About time

• jrod691 - Feb 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Well if he doesn’t get banned at least make him change his name. He gives all Sharks fans a bad name.

28. kingjoe1 - Feb 6, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Ok, help me out with this a bit. So if say I were to criticize the completely robotic way the Profootballtalk main dude acts when he is on camera, would that get me banned?

What about if I was critical of the way Cub fans blindly support a franchise who had its best days before the car?

Then there is immense criticism I have stored up for the biggest hypocrite on hockey Brendan Shanahan. Would a scathing torrent of emotion get me gone?

• blomfeld - Feb 6, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Friend … I share your disdain for the hypocrite Shanahan … he does positively “nothing” for the betterment of the game and therefore he’s essentially a “parasite” whose only contribution is to add “net” cost to the bottom line of an already financially “challenged” business …

29. ml3939 - Feb 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

See ya pittsburghpoons.

30. mrskunitzdrippinlips - Feb 6, 2012 at 9:06 PM

soup can army assemble!!!!

• letangshair - Feb 6, 2012 at 10:39 PM

tryin brah

31. bcjim - Feb 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Good. Just don’t ruin it l like they did with PGT. Tell those clowns to bring it back nobody is interested in gtc.

• blomfeld - Feb 6, 2012 at 10:15 PM

TIGER WOODS RULES !

I agree with you bcjim. The PGT was completely ruined when the Golf Channel took over in November and I’ve subsequently never posted there again since. That was by far the most enjoyable forum that I’ve ever been a member of and I really miss everyone including yourself, Lannyh, Golfcourt, Ukwendy, Naegele, Jxegh, etc. We always had an interesting and lively exchange there and despite our differing views, we still always kept it civil and decent … maybe that’s perhaps because we were all golfers ?

At any rate, I think it’s probably a good idea to weed out the rotten apples here at PHT. I just hope that it doesn’t go too far, so that this becomes another “boring, sanitized and predictable” version of what they’ve done over there. It’s fun to engage with one another in verbal discourse and debate, just as long as it’s always done in the spirit of having “fun” .. anything else is garbage and should not be tolerated, ever !

ps: in case you weren’t aware, only three more sleeps until Tigers tees it up at Pebble man ! :)

32. rexadelphia8 - Feb 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Boooo, only idiots on here anyway

• blomfeld - Feb 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM

“only idiots on here anyway” …

friend … by virtue of this statement, then you yourself must be an idiot, no ? … it’s a shame really and therefore I implore you to re-visit your values … if that isn’t possible, then unfortunately the following will most likely end up being your fate …

33. bigtganks - Feb 7, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Has anyone seen Drewsylvania? I haven’t seen a thing from him at all since around 2pm today…

• drewsylvania - Feb 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Like *I’m* the biggest troll around here…we all know who *that* is.

34. har21441 - Feb 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Can we still carefully explain how caps fans are the most uneducated and least knowledgable fans in the game, or we need to provide specific examples of their foolishness in order to avoid discipline?

35. BurkieInBoston - Feb 7, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I blame Burrows & LaPierre.

36. prolibertate85 - Feb 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM

You should ban down-voters, they hurt feelings as they anonymously pass judgement :(

• drewsylvania - Feb 9, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Love it. And pretty accurate.

37. drewsylvania - Feb 9, 2012 at 7:39 PM

This is partially in direct response to me calling out their writers for trolling. What I find classic is that the writers do the same thing over and over again. They should probably ban themselves.

But it’s probably more in response to habsman, who says literally the same stupid thing in every post.

• timthomashero - Feb 13, 2012 at 4:06 AM

You know, you are completely right in the sense that we’ve seen at least 5 or so Tim Thomas stories all regarding essentially the exact same things.

How can anyone expect a diverse dialogue if they are feeding the “commenter” the same reading material over and over again.

I believe you will get people “making the same dumb comments over and over”.
      c
      And who decides what is dumb and what’s not? Abusive language should dictate banning people, not someones opinion of who is dumb or not.

38. drewsylvania - Feb 9, 2012 at 7:46 PM

So, just so were clear: The only people who can beat a dead horse over and over again are the writers (Tim Thomas, anyone?)?

39. drewsylvania - Feb 9, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Frankly I won’t care much if you ban me. It’s not like this place has earned much respect.

• vanfoodman - Feb 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Good on ya drewsylvania, finally reaching out for the help you so desperately need. Good night and good luck!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches