Feb 6, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
Today has not been kind to NHL head coaches.
Shortly after the Buffalo Sabres announced Lindy Ruff broke three ribs in a practice collision, the Edmonton Oilers announced Tom Renney will miss tonight’s game after being struck by a puck.
“I feel horrible,” said Ladislav Smid, who deflected the shot that hit Renney. “Talk about bad luck.”
Renney was hit in the head just a few minutes into today’s pregame skate — the Oilers face the Maple Leafs in Toronto tonight — and didn’t get to see the end of practice. He was sent to a local doctor for stitches and a concussion test.
The Oilers announced that associate coach Ralph Krueger would lead the team in Renney’s absence. Krueger’s most recent head coaching experience came at the helm of the Swiss men’s national team at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.
Ironically, Krueger will inherit the healthiest team Edmonton’s had all year. This will be the first time this season the Oilers have their full lineup of players, as defenseman Tom Gilbert returns after a five-week layoff with an ankle injury.
Update: From TSN’s Bob McKenzie
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)