Feb 6, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
Today has not been kind to NHL head coaches.
Shortly after the Buffalo Sabres announced Lindy Ruff broke three ribs in a practice collision, the Edmonton Oilers announced Tom Renney will miss tonight’s game after being struck by a puck.
“I feel horrible,” said Ladislav Smid, who deflected the shot that hit Renney. “Talk about bad luck.”
Renney was hit in the head just a few minutes into today’s pregame skate — the Oilers face the Maple Leafs in Toronto tonight — and didn’t get to see the end of practice. He was sent to a local doctor for stitches and a concussion test.
The Oilers announced that associate coach Ralph Krueger would lead the team in Renney’s absence. Krueger’s most recent head coaching experience came at the helm of the Swiss men’s national team at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.
Ironically, Krueger will inherit the healthiest team Edmonton’s had all year. This will be the first time this season the Oilers have their full lineup of players, as defenseman Tom Gilbert returns after a five-week layoff with an ankle injury.
Update: From TSN’s Bob McKenzie
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)