Feb 6, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
Today has not been kind to NHL head coaches.
Shortly after the Buffalo Sabres announced Lindy Ruff broke three ribs in a practice collision, the Edmonton Oilers announced Tom Renney will miss tonight’s game after being struck by a puck.
“I feel horrible,” said Ladislav Smid, who deflected the shot that hit Renney. “Talk about bad luck.”
Renney was hit in the head just a few minutes into today’s pregame skate — the Oilers face the Maple Leafs in Toronto tonight — and didn’t get to see the end of practice. He was sent to a local doctor for stitches and a concussion test.
The Oilers announced that associate coach Ralph Krueger would lead the team in Renney’s absence. Krueger’s most recent head coaching experience came at the helm of the Swiss men’s national team at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.
Ironically, Krueger will inherit the healthiest team Edmonton’s had all year. This will be the first time this season the Oilers have their full lineup of players, as defenseman Tom Gilbert returns after a five-week layoff with an ankle injury.
Update: From TSN’s Bob McKenzie
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)