Feb 6, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
Today has not been kind to NHL head coaches.
Shortly after the Buffalo Sabres announced Lindy Ruff broke three ribs in a practice collision, the Edmonton Oilers announced Tom Renney will miss tonight’s game after being struck by a puck.
“I feel horrible,” said Ladislav Smid, who deflected the shot that hit Renney. “Talk about bad luck.”
Renney was hit in the head just a few minutes into today’s pregame skate — the Oilers face the Maple Leafs in Toronto tonight — and didn’t get to see the end of practice. He was sent to a local doctor for stitches and a concussion test.
The Oilers announced that associate coach Ralph Krueger would lead the team in Renney’s absence. Krueger’s most recent head coaching experience came at the helm of the Swiss men’s national team at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.
Ironically, Krueger will inherit the healthiest team Edmonton’s had all year. This will be the first time this season the Oilers have their full lineup of players, as defenseman Tom Gilbert returns after a five-week layoff with an ankle injury.
Update: From TSN’s Bob McKenzie
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (59)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)