Feb 6, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
Today has not been kind to NHL head coaches.
Shortly after the Buffalo Sabres announced Lindy Ruff broke three ribs in a practice collision, the Edmonton Oilers announced Tom Renney will miss tonight’s game after being struck by a puck.
“I feel horrible,” said Ladislav Smid, who deflected the shot that hit Renney. “Talk about bad luck.”
Renney was hit in the head just a few minutes into today’s pregame skate — the Oilers face the Maple Leafs in Toronto tonight — and didn’t get to see the end of practice. He was sent to a local doctor for stitches and a concussion test.
The Oilers announced that associate coach Ralph Krueger would lead the team in Renney’s absence. Krueger’s most recent head coaching experience came at the helm of the Swiss men’s national team at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.
Ironically, Krueger will inherit the healthiest team Edmonton’s had all year. This will be the first time this season the Oilers have their full lineup of players, as defenseman Tom Gilbert returns after a five-week layoff with an ankle injury.
Update: From TSN’s Bob McKenzie
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)