Feb 6, 2012, 1:12 PM EDT
Zach Hamill‘s tumultuous time in the Boston organization could soon be over.
The 22-year-old center, taken eighth overall at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, was put on waivers today. Hamill appeared in 16 games for the Bruins this year but had been ice cold of late — he’d been scoreless since Dec. 13, when he registered an assist against the Kings.
A highly-touted prospect coming out of Everett of the WHL, Hamill was taken ahead of a number of quality centers in 2007, mostly notably San Jose Sharks All-Star Logan Couture. Since then, he’s struggled to find his niche with the organization and hit a low point last season when he was a healthy scratch for AHL Providence.
“[Hamill's] not doing anything, to be blunt,” head coach Rob Murray said at the time.
CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty was unsurprised to learn that Hamill had been put on waivers.
“Writing was on the wall after weak effort vs. Penguins on Saturday,” he tweeted. “NHL strength was a problem.”
Hamill, an impending RFA, can be claimed by any team before noon tomorrow — the claiming team would assume the rest of his $1,316,667 annual cap hit. If he goes unclaimed, he’ll report back to Providence.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 0
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 2
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 10
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 26
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 12
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 68
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination