Feb 6, 2012, 1:12 PM EDT
Zach Hamill‘s tumultuous time in the Boston organization could soon be over.
The 22-year-old center, taken eighth overall at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, was put on waivers today. Hamill appeared in 16 games for the Bruins this year but had been ice cold of late — he’d been scoreless since Dec. 13, when he registered an assist against the Kings.
A highly-touted prospect coming out of Everett of the WHL, Hamill was taken ahead of a number of quality centers in 2007, mostly notably San Jose Sharks All-Star Logan Couture. Since then, he’s struggled to find his niche with the organization and hit a low point last season when he was a healthy scratch for AHL Providence.
“[Hamill’s] not doing anything, to be blunt,” head coach Rob Murray said at the time.
CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty was unsurprised to learn that Hamill had been put on waivers.
“Writing was on the wall after weak effort vs. Penguins on Saturday,” he tweeted. “NHL strength was a problem.”
Hamill, an impending RFA, can be claimed by any team before noon tomorrow — the claiming team would assume the rest of his $1,316,667 annual cap hit. If he goes unclaimed, he’ll report back to Providence.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 0
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 29
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)