Feb 6, 2012, 1:12 PM EDT
Zach Hamill‘s tumultuous time in the Boston organization could soon be over.
The 22-year-old center, taken eighth overall at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, was put on waivers today. Hamill appeared in 16 games for the Bruins this year but had been ice cold of late — he’d been scoreless since Dec. 13, when he registered an assist against the Kings.
A highly-touted prospect coming out of Everett of the WHL, Hamill was taken ahead of a number of quality centers in 2007, mostly notably San Jose Sharks All-Star Logan Couture. Since then, he’s struggled to find his niche with the organization and hit a low point last season when he was a healthy scratch for AHL Providence.
“[Hamill's] not doing anything, to be blunt,” head coach Rob Murray said at the time.
CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty was unsurprised to learn that Hamill had been put on waivers.
“Writing was on the wall after weak effort vs. Penguins on Saturday,” he tweeted. “NHL strength was a problem.”
Hamill, an impending RFA, can be claimed by any team before noon tomorrow — the claiming team would assume the rest of his $1,316,667 annual cap hit. If he goes unclaimed, he’ll report back to Providence.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)