Feb 6, 2012, 1:12 PM EST
Zach Hamill‘s tumultuous time in the Boston organization could soon be over.
The 22-year-old center, taken eighth overall at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, was put on waivers today. Hamill appeared in 16 games for the Bruins this year but had been ice cold of late — he’d been scoreless since Dec. 13, when he registered an assist against the Kings.
A highly-touted prospect coming out of Everett of the WHL, Hamill was taken ahead of a number of quality centers in 2007, mostly notably San Jose Sharks All-Star Logan Couture. Since then, he’s struggled to find his niche with the organization and hit a low point last season when he was a healthy scratch for AHL Providence.
“[Hamill's] not doing anything, to be blunt,” head coach Rob Murray said at the time.
CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty was unsurprised to learn that Hamill had been put on waivers.
“Writing was on the wall after weak effort vs. Penguins on Saturday,” he tweeted. “NHL strength was a problem.”
Hamill, an impending RFA, can be claimed by any team before noon tomorrow — the claiming team would assume the rest of his $1,316,667 annual cap hit. If he goes unclaimed, he’ll report back to Providence.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 1
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 62
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 65
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 36
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 64
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 169
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (169)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) (68)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (65)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (62)