Feb 6, 2012, 1:12 PM EDT
Zach Hamill‘s tumultuous time in the Boston organization could soon be over.
The 22-year-old center, taken eighth overall at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, was put on waivers today. Hamill appeared in 16 games for the Bruins this year but had been ice cold of late — he’d been scoreless since Dec. 13, when he registered an assist against the Kings.
A highly-touted prospect coming out of Everett of the WHL, Hamill was taken ahead of a number of quality centers in 2007, mostly notably San Jose Sharks All-Star Logan Couture. Since then, he’s struggled to find his niche with the organization and hit a low point last season when he was a healthy scratch for AHL Providence.
“[Hamill’s] not doing anything, to be blunt,” head coach Rob Murray said at the time.
CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty was unsurprised to learn that Hamill had been put on waivers.
“Writing was on the wall after weak effort vs. Penguins on Saturday,” he tweeted. “NHL strength was a problem.”
Hamill, an impending RFA, can be claimed by any team before noon tomorrow — the claiming team would assume the rest of his $1,316,667 annual cap hit. If he goes unclaimed, he’ll report back to Providence.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 19
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 42
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)