Feb 6, 2012, 1:08 PM EDT
Brooks Laich‘s day against the Boston Bruins ended earlier after a collision with Bruins defenseman Dennis Seidenberg. Laich’s was listed as having a knee sprain and while he tried to get back into the game, he stayed out of action leaving Caps fans worried that they’d be without their top two centers.
Nerves got a bit edgier in Washington this morning when Laich sat out of Caps practice. Is there reason to be worried? Caps coach Dale Hunter doesn’t think so as he told reporters this morning that his injury was “nothing major” and that Laich is “day-to-day.” Hunter also said that Laich was walking around without a problem and would see a doctor later today.
If the Caps have to go without Laich and Nicklas Backstrom, Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com reports that their top four centers will be Marcus Johansson, Mathieu Perreault, Jeff Halpern, and Keith Aucoin. That’s a little less than impressive and gives the Caps definitive worries up the middle.
Laich is an important penalty killer and defensive forward with some scoring touch while Backstrom, who is still out with a concussion, is their top playmaker and point producer. We’ll keep you posted on Laich’s status as it’s updated here at PHT.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 8
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 84
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (84)