Feb 6, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT
We already wrote Saturday that Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman isn’t looking for a goalie (or so he says) as the Feb. 27 trade deadline approaches and Corey Crawford’s play remains a concern. To add to that post, following are some quotes courtesy the Chicago Tribune.
Bowman: “Corey was dynamic for us last season. He pretty much helped us get in the playoffs and then he was dynamite in the playoffs. We’re only seven, eight months removed from that. It’s one of those things where success can help boost your confidence and get you back in short order.”
Crawford: “A lot of people just look at (statistics) and determine the kind of player or goaltender you are just by your numbers. I think I’m way better than what those numbers say. I just have to go out and prove it. If I’m consistent, those numbers will turn around.”
Crawford has a 2.94 GAA and .900 save percentage, among the worst stats of any regular starter in the NHL. And while he’s not entirely responsible for his team’s defensive woes, he’s not exactly helping the situation either.
Of course, even if Bowman wanted to add a goalie for insurance, there aren’t many options out there. The Islanders’ Evgeni Nabokov is one, and he’d surely waive his no-movement clause to go to Chicago. But other than that?
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 3
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 11
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)