Feb 6, 2012, 8:47 AM EST
We’re taking you “Back To Class” for our roundup of the weekend’s action in college hockey. Look for more college hockey on NBCSN this Friday night with a doubleheader featuring No. 5 Boston College taking on Vermont and No. 2 Minnesota facing No. 13 Denver.
We know Patriots fans are in mourning today, but fear not, there’s hockey to make you feel better as the 60th annual Beanpot Tournament kicks off today. With the semifinals today and the finals next Monday, fans all across the Hub of Hockey will get their fill as Boston University takes on Harvard and Boston College faces off with Northeastern.
BC has won the last two Beanpots but BU still leads all time with 29 titles. The tournament doesn’t come without its issues, however, as the last time neither BC or BU won the Beanpot was 1993 when Harvard took home the title. Northeastern last won it back in 1988. This year is once again set up for a potential BC-BU showdown, a pairing that’s produced some of the most exciting games in recent years throughout all of college hockey. With a bevy of NHL-caliber talent on both teams, perhaps we’ll see them dance once again next Monday in the finals.
Elsewhere in college hockey:
UMass-Lowell just keeps winning as they swept Vermont handily this weekend. (The Ice is Life)
No. 1 Minnesota-Duluth continues to struggle as they split their weekend with Alaska-Anchorage. (Go Seawolves)
No. 7 Michigan keeps winning as they swept Miami. (M Go Blue)
An ECAC showdown between Cornell and Union provided no winners in a 4-4 tie. (Slap Schotts)
Air Force stays hot sweeping RIT to take the lead in the Atlantic Hockey Association. (Colorado Springs Gazette)
Hats off to Robert Morris for winning the 100th game in program history. (USCHO)
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4