Feb 6, 2012, 8:47 AM EST
We’re taking you “Back To Class” for our roundup of the weekend’s action in college hockey. Look for more college hockey on NBCSN this Friday night with a doubleheader featuring No. 5 Boston College taking on Vermont and No. 2 Minnesota facing No. 13 Denver.
We know Patriots fans are in mourning today, but fear not, there’s hockey to make you feel better as the 60th annual Beanpot Tournament kicks off today. With the semifinals today and the finals next Monday, fans all across the Hub of Hockey will get their fill as Boston University takes on Harvard and Boston College faces off with Northeastern.
BC has won the last two Beanpots but BU still leads all time with 29 titles. The tournament doesn’t come without its issues, however, as the last time neither BC or BU won the Beanpot was 1993 when Harvard took home the title. Northeastern last won it back in 1988. This year is once again set up for a potential BC-BU showdown, a pairing that’s produced some of the most exciting games in recent years throughout all of college hockey. With a bevy of NHL-caliber talent on both teams, perhaps we’ll see them dance once again next Monday in the finals.
Elsewhere in college hockey:
UMass-Lowell just keeps winning as they swept Vermont handily this weekend. (The Ice is Life)
No. 1 Minnesota-Duluth continues to struggle as they split their weekend with Alaska-Anchorage. (Go Seawolves)
No. 7 Michigan keeps winning as they swept Miami. (M Go Blue)
An ECAC showdown between Cornell and Union provided no winners in a 4-4 tie. (Slap Schotts)
Air Force stays hot sweeping RIT to take the lead in the Atlantic Hockey Association. (Colorado Springs Gazette)
Hats off to Robert Morris for winning the 100th game in program history. (USCHO)
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 4
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 7
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54