Feb 5, 2012, 9:45 AM EST
When the Bruins face the Capitals in Washington this afternoon (12:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN) they’re doing so coming off a tough loss to Pittsburgh yesterday and on a rough skid of their own. The Bruins are just 4-5-1 in their last 10 games and while Tim Thomas and Tuukka Rask have played poorly during that stretch, a more troubling issue of late is their lack of offense.
In their last two games only Joe Corvo‘s goal in the third period yesterday against Pittsburgh is all they’ve got. When a team gets in a funk everything seems to go down the tubes. The defense has been lax, the goaltending left out to dry, and the offense is hurting.
To take down the Capitals today, coach Claude Julien will need to get a lift from Tyler Seguin, David Krejci, and Milan Lucic rather than bombing away with shots from the outside with shots from Zdeno Chara and the rest of the Bruins’ defense. As Bruins forward Chris Kelly put it, there’s no time for excuses when you’re slumping.
Washington, meanwhile, handily took care of Montreal yesterday and saw Tomas Vokoun pass Ken Dryden on the all-time shutouts list and they’re 5-3-2 in their last 10 games. They’ve got Alex Ovechkin back after serving his suspension and even Alex Semin seemed interested in playing yesterday as well.
Without Nicklas Backstrom it’s a struggle for the Caps to keep the offense going. They’ll be looking for surprise offensive help like they had when these two teams last met on January 24 when Mathieu Perreault netted a hat trick to lead the Caps to a 5-3 win. Meanwhile, coach Dale Hunter will be looking for some toughness out of his defense as the Bruins’ attack will surely be on the prowl.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)