Feb 5, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT
When the Bruins face the Capitals in Washington this afternoon (12:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN) they’re doing so coming off a tough loss to Pittsburgh yesterday and on a rough skid of their own. The Bruins are just 4-5-1 in their last 10 games and while Tim Thomas and Tuukka Rask have played poorly during that stretch, a more troubling issue of late is their lack of offense.
In their last two games only Joe Corvo‘s goal in the third period yesterday against Pittsburgh is all they’ve got. When a team gets in a funk everything seems to go down the tubes. The defense has been lax, the goaltending left out to dry, and the offense is hurting.
To take down the Capitals today, coach Claude Julien will need to get a lift from Tyler Seguin, David Krejci, and Milan Lucic rather than bombing away with shots from the outside with shots from Zdeno Chara and the rest of the Bruins’ defense. As Bruins forward Chris Kelly put it, there’s no time for excuses when you’re slumping.
Washington, meanwhile, handily took care of Montreal yesterday and saw Tomas Vokoun pass Ken Dryden on the all-time shutouts list and they’re 5-3-2 in their last 10 games. They’ve got Alex Ovechkin back after serving his suspension and even Alex Semin seemed interested in playing yesterday as well.
Without Nicklas Backstrom it’s a struggle for the Caps to keep the offense going. They’ll be looking for surprise offensive help like they had when these two teams last met on January 24 when Mathieu Perreault netted a hat trick to lead the Caps to a 5-3 win. Meanwhile, coach Dale Hunter will be looking for some toughness out of his defense as the Bruins’ attack will surely be on the prowl.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)