Feb 5, 2012, 10:41 AM EDT
The possibility of seeing the NHL come to Seattle is gaining a bit more steam.
A report out of The Seattle Times says that hedge-fund manager Christopher Hansen has been exchanging emails with city officials about his plan to build a new arena near Safeco Field in downtown Seattle.
Hansen’s aim is to get a NBA team back to the city to replace the Supersonics who left for Oklahoma City back in 2008. A new arena would mean the NHL would take Seattle’s interest in bringing a team there far more seriously. With the Phoenix Coyotes potentially in need of a new place to move, and soon, the lure of moving them to a new major market like Seattle would be strong.
The catch for this new arena deal, however, will be how much public money (if any) will be needed to finance it to make it go. Hansen has purchased the land downtown where he’d like to put the building, but constructing it takes a lot of cash.
Seattle has used public money already to build Safeco Field and CenturyLink Field where the NFL’s Seahawks play, but have balked in the past at helping finance a new arena. That move led to the Sonics relocating to Oklahoma, a sore point for many sports fans in the Pacific Northwest.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)