Feb 5, 2012, 1:13 AM EST
No one expected Sam Gagner to have another four-goal, eight-point game, like he did on Thursday, but he didn’t fall down to Earth either. Gagner scored two power-play goals in the first period, including one with less than a second left on the clock in Edmonton’s 5-4 shootout win over Detroit.
Gagner also assisted on Jordan Eberle’s first goal of the game, but he wasn’t credited with an assist on Eberle’s late third period game-tying goal. That ended Gagner’s streak of getting a point in 11 straight Oilers goals, but even then, Gagner was on the ice for Edmonton’s fourth goal of the night and he was even briefly credited with an assist before they were revised to go to Ales Hemsky and Ryan Smyth. Then, just for good measure, Gagner netted a goal in the shootout.
Gagner will rest up for Monday’s game against the only player in the NHL that might be as hot as him: James Reimer, who has posted back-to-back shutouts, including a 49-save silencing of the Ottawa Senators on Saturday.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)