Feb 5, 2012, 1:13 AM EDT
No one expected Sam Gagner to have another four-goal, eight-point game, like he did on Thursday, but he didn’t fall down to Earth either. Gagner scored two power-play goals in the first period, including one with less than a second left on the clock in Edmonton’s 5-4 shootout win over Detroit.
Gagner also assisted on Jordan Eberle’s first goal of the game, but he wasn’t credited with an assist on Eberle’s late third period game-tying goal. That ended Gagner’s streak of getting a point in 11 straight Oilers goals, but even then, Gagner was on the ice for Edmonton’s fourth goal of the night and he was even briefly credited with an assist before they were revised to go to Ales Hemsky and Ryan Smyth. Then, just for good measure, Gagner netted a goal in the shootout.
Gagner will rest up for Monday’s game against the only player in the NHL that might be as hot as him: James Reimer, who has posted back-to-back shutouts, including a 49-save silencing of the Ottawa Senators on Saturday.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)