Feb 5, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
It looks like we might have to get Flyers forward Zac Rinaldo a rule book.
Rinaldo was fined $5000 for separate incidents in yesterday’s loss to the Devils including a slew foot on Devils captain Zach Parise. Rinaldo tells ESPN New York’s Katie Strang that his motivation for slew footing Parise was pretty simple.
“The slew-foot really shouldn’t be in the game but 6-nothing we were down and someone had to stir the pot,” Rinaldo said.
It used to be that you could stir the pot by face washing a player, giving them a couple whacks with your stick after the whistle, or saying something unkind about their family.
Brendan Shanahan will get some grief from Devils fans and others for not suspending Rinaldo, but he’s remained consistent when it’s come to punishing (or not punishing) slew foots this year. Just ask P.K. Subban who was fined once and escaped punishment this year for such instances.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)