Feb 5, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
It looks like we might have to get Flyers forward Zac Rinaldo a rule book.
Rinaldo was fined $5000 for separate incidents in yesterday’s loss to the Devils including a slew foot on Devils captain Zach Parise. Rinaldo tells ESPN New York’s Katie Strang that his motivation for slew footing Parise was pretty simple.
“The slew-foot really shouldn’t be in the game but 6-nothing we were down and someone had to stir the pot,” Rinaldo said.
It used to be that you could stir the pot by face washing a player, giving them a couple whacks with your stick after the whistle, or saying something unkind about their family.
Brendan Shanahan will get some grief from Devils fans and others for not suspending Rinaldo, but he’s remained consistent when it’s come to punishing (or not punishing) slew foots this year. Just ask P.K. Subban who was fined once and escaped punishment this year for such instances.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 15
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 69
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 91
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)