Feb 5, 2012, 6:28 PM EST
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said that more fights might help them out in home games. The Flyers tried that theory out this afternoon on the road against the Rangers hoping to finally beat New York.
It didn’t work out very well.
The Winter Classic rivals dropped the gloves four times with Flyers tough guy Tom Sestito fighting three separate times earning a game misconduct for doing so, but the Rangers won the battle on the scoreboard taking home a 5-2 win. Sestito was the first Flyer with three fights in a game since Ian Laperriere did it in 2009.
Artem Anisimov scored a goal and had two assists while helping Ilya Bryzgalov look shaky once again in defeat. Marian Gaborik scored his 26th goal of the year and added an assist as well even though Rangers coach John Tortorella thought Gaborik’s goal was a “horse—- goal.”
You can judge for yourselves on that.
If there’s something the Flyers need to get figured out before the playoffs, they’ll have to find out who their top goalie is going to be. Bryzgalov having another soft game only means that Sergei Bobrovsky will continue to have people calling for him as the season winds down.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)