Feb 5, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said that more fights might help them out in home games. The Flyers tried that theory out this afternoon on the road against the Rangers hoping to finally beat New York.
It didn’t work out very well.
The Winter Classic rivals dropped the gloves four times with Flyers tough guy Tom Sestito fighting three separate times earning a game misconduct for doing so, but the Rangers won the battle on the scoreboard taking home a 5-2 win. Sestito was the first Flyer with three fights in a game since Ian Laperriere did it in 2009.
Artem Anisimov scored a goal and had two assists while helping Ilya Bryzgalov look shaky once again in defeat. Marian Gaborik scored his 26th goal of the year and added an assist as well even though Rangers coach John Tortorella thought Gaborik’s goal was a “horse—- goal.”
You can judge for yourselves on that.
If there’s something the Flyers need to get figured out before the playoffs, they’ll have to find out who their top goalie is going to be. Bryzgalov having another soft game only means that Sergei Bobrovsky will continue to have people calling for him as the season winds down.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)