Feb 5, 2012, 6:28 PM EST
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said that more fights might help them out in home games. The Flyers tried that theory out this afternoon on the road against the Rangers hoping to finally beat New York.
It didn’t work out very well.
The Winter Classic rivals dropped the gloves four times with Flyers tough guy Tom Sestito fighting three separate times earning a game misconduct for doing so, but the Rangers won the battle on the scoreboard taking home a 5-2 win. Sestito was the first Flyer with three fights in a game since Ian Laperriere did it in 2009.
Artem Anisimov scored a goal and had two assists while helping Ilya Bryzgalov look shaky once again in defeat. Marian Gaborik scored his 26th goal of the year and added an assist as well even though Rangers coach John Tortorella thought Gaborik’s goal was a “horse—- goal.”
You can judge for yourselves on that.
If there’s something the Flyers need to get figured out before the playoffs, they’ll have to find out who their top goalie is going to be. Bryzgalov having another soft game only means that Sergei Bobrovsky will continue to have people calling for him as the season winds down.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)