Feb 5, 2012, 6:28 PM EST
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said that more fights might help them out in home games. The Flyers tried that theory out this afternoon on the road against the Rangers hoping to finally beat New York.
It didn’t work out very well.
The Winter Classic rivals dropped the gloves four times with Flyers tough guy Tom Sestito fighting three separate times earning a game misconduct for doing so, but the Rangers won the battle on the scoreboard taking home a 5-2 win. Sestito was the first Flyer with three fights in a game since Ian Laperriere did it in 2009.
Artem Anisimov scored a goal and had two assists while helping Ilya Bryzgalov look shaky once again in defeat. Marian Gaborik scored his 26th goal of the year and added an assist as well even though Rangers coach John Tortorella thought Gaborik’s goal was a “horse—- goal.”
You can judge for yourselves on that.
If there’s something the Flyers need to get figured out before the playoffs, they’ll have to find out who their top goalie is going to be. Bryzgalov having another soft game only means that Sergei Bobrovsky will continue to have people calling for him as the season winds down.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 2
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 5
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 2
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8