Feb 5, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said that more fights might help them out in home games. The Flyers tried that theory out this afternoon on the road against the Rangers hoping to finally beat New York.
It didn’t work out very well.
The Winter Classic rivals dropped the gloves four times with Flyers tough guy Tom Sestito fighting three separate times earning a game misconduct for doing so, but the Rangers won the battle on the scoreboard taking home a 5-2 win. Sestito was the first Flyer with three fights in a game since Ian Laperriere did it in 2009.
Artem Anisimov scored a goal and had two assists while helping Ilya Bryzgalov look shaky once again in defeat. Marian Gaborik scored his 26th goal of the year and added an assist as well even though Rangers coach John Tortorella thought Gaborik’s goal was a “horse—- goal.”
You can judge for yourselves on that.
If there’s something the Flyers need to get figured out before the playoffs, they’ll have to find out who their top goalie is going to be. Bryzgalov having another soft game only means that Sergei Bobrovsky will continue to have people calling for him as the season winds down.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)