Feb 5, 2012, 4:51 PM EST
The NHL has made it an annual event to start the season in Europe the past five years as part of the NHL Premiere Series, but next season may see things change.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post reports that the Premiere Series may be put on hold next season thanks to, you guessed it, the oncoming labor battle this summer.
The uncertainty over whether the 2012-13 season will begin on time given the Sept. 15 expiration date of the CBA has at least for the time being prevented scheduling of the games, with the parties as yet unable to agree on the parameters regarding revenue allocations and risk should the matches be canceled.
Unfortunately this is all part of the business and if the labor negotiations get in the way sacrifices have to be made. The NHL likes doing the games in Europe, but if things aren’t figured out in time something has to go. At least if the Premiere Series winds up on hold though, some teams will be without an excuse for why their season started out slowly.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)