Feb 5, 2012, 10:45 PM EDT
Unless NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan decides to start using his powers for evil, it seems likely that Teemu Selanne will one up him in the not too distant future. Going into Monday’s contest against Calgary, Selanne is just one goal away from tying Shanahan for 12th place on the NHL’s all-time goal scoring list. Shanahan, who had 656 goals in 1,524 games, has already fallen down one spot thanks to Jaromir Jagr’s return this season.
The silver lining for Shanahan is that he’s likely to stay in 13th place for quite a while. After Selanne and Jagr, only one other active player – the 34-year-old Jarome Iginla – is a member of the 500 goal club, and even then Iginla is a recent addition. After Iginla, the next best active player is the 37-year-old Jason Arnott, who currently has 412 goals. There are certainly young star players who, if they don’t slow down, could someday approach the level that Selanne, Jagr, and Shanahan have reached, but they have a long road ahead of them.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires