Feb 5, 2012, 9:45 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators are on a six-game losing streak and they have just a three-point lead on the ninth place Washington Capitals despite having played in three more contests – but that’s no reason to panic, right?
“We’ve got to take a deep breath and just relax,” Jason Spezza suggested. He later added, “You have to look at the season as a whole. We’re happy to be in this position and now we’ve got some important games down the stretch.”
It’s true that there was a time when many believed the Senators would be in the same position as the Columbus Blue Jackets at this point, so the fact that they currently hold the seventh seed is still something of an accomplishment. That doesn’t mean it’ll hurt Senators fans any less if they slip out of the playoff picture due to a late season collapse.
Ottawa is gearing up for three games at home next week against two of the Western Conference’s top teams, the St. Louis Blues and Nashville Predators, and then finally the red hot Edmonton Oilers. This could be a very telling week for a Senators team that has, for the most part, managed to defy expectations.
- Report: Devils fire coach DeBoer 2
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 0
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 5
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)