Feb 5, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators are on a six-game losing streak and they have just a three-point lead on the ninth place Washington Capitals despite having played in three more contests – but that’s no reason to panic, right?
“We’ve got to take a deep breath and just relax,” Jason Spezza suggested. He later added, “You have to look at the season as a whole. We’re happy to be in this position and now we’ve got some important games down the stretch.”
It’s true that there was a time when many believed the Senators would be in the same position as the Columbus Blue Jackets at this point, so the fact that they currently hold the seventh seed is still something of an accomplishment. That doesn’t mean it’ll hurt Senators fans any less if they slip out of the playoff picture due to a late season collapse.
Ottawa is gearing up for three games at home next week against two of the Western Conference’s top teams, the St. Louis Blues and Nashville Predators, and then finally the red hot Edmonton Oilers. This could be a very telling week for a Senators team that has, for the most part, managed to defy expectations.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)