Feb 5, 2012, 9:45 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators are on a six-game losing streak and they have just a three-point lead on the ninth place Washington Capitals despite having played in three more contests – but that’s no reason to panic, right?
“We’ve got to take a deep breath and just relax,” Jason Spezza suggested. He later added, “You have to look at the season as a whole. We’re happy to be in this position and now we’ve got some important games down the stretch.”
It’s true that there was a time when many believed the Senators would be in the same position as the Columbus Blue Jackets at this point, so the fact that they currently hold the seventh seed is still something of an accomplishment. That doesn’t mean it’ll hurt Senators fans any less if they slip out of the playoff picture due to a late season collapse.
Ottawa is gearing up for three games at home next week against two of the Western Conference’s top teams, the St. Louis Blues and Nashville Predators, and then finally the red hot Edmonton Oilers. This could be a very telling week for a Senators team that has, for the most part, managed to defy expectations.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 8
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 32
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)