Feb 5, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators are on a six-game losing streak and they have just a three-point lead on the ninth place Washington Capitals despite having played in three more contests – but that’s no reason to panic, right?
“We’ve got to take a deep breath and just relax,” Jason Spezza suggested. He later added, “You have to look at the season as a whole. We’re happy to be in this position and now we’ve got some important games down the stretch.”
It’s true that there was a time when many believed the Senators would be in the same position as the Columbus Blue Jackets at this point, so the fact that they currently hold the seventh seed is still something of an accomplishment. That doesn’t mean it’ll hurt Senators fans any less if they slip out of the playoff picture due to a late season collapse.
Ottawa is gearing up for three games at home next week against two of the Western Conference’s top teams, the St. Louis Blues and Nashville Predators, and then finally the red hot Edmonton Oilers. This could be a very telling week for a Senators team that has, for the most part, managed to defy expectations.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 12
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 13
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 11
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)