Feb 5, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators are on a six-game losing streak and they have just a three-point lead on the ninth place Washington Capitals despite having played in three more contests – but that’s no reason to panic, right?
“We’ve got to take a deep breath and just relax,” Jason Spezza suggested. He later added, “You have to look at the season as a whole. We’re happy to be in this position and now we’ve got some important games down the stretch.”
It’s true that there was a time when many believed the Senators would be in the same position as the Columbus Blue Jackets at this point, so the fact that they currently hold the seventh seed is still something of an accomplishment. That doesn’t mean it’ll hurt Senators fans any less if they slip out of the playoff picture due to a late season collapse.
Ottawa is gearing up for three games at home next week against two of the Western Conference’s top teams, the St. Louis Blues and Nashville Predators, and then finally the red hot Edmonton Oilers. This could be a very telling week for a Senators team that has, for the most part, managed to defy expectations.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 3
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 20
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 81
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 79
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 17
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 16
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (83)
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)