Feb 5, 2012, 5:14 PM EDT
Anton Volchenkov isn’t what you’d call an offensive defenseman by any stretch. In his ninth season he’s got just 16 goals in his career and now in his second season with the Devils, he had yet to score a goal.
Volchenkov netted his first New Jersey goal this afternoon against the Penguins in his 102nd game with the team. As Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice notes, his teammates may have been more excited about this than he was. Case in point, Ilya Kovalchuk.
“I tried to find the puck right away so nobody would grab it,” Kovalchuk said. “It’s his first as a Devil and like I said to himl, ‘It will be the first of many.’ …It’s definitely a monkey off his shoulder.”
Just what the red hot Devils need, another big Russian that can score.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)