Feb 5, 2012, 5:14 PM EDT
Anton Volchenkov isn’t what you’d call an offensive defenseman by any stretch. In his ninth season he’s got just 16 goals in his career and now in his second season with the Devils, he had yet to score a goal.
Volchenkov netted his first New Jersey goal this afternoon against the Penguins in his 102nd game with the team. As Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice notes, his teammates may have been more excited about this than he was. Case in point, Ilya Kovalchuk.
“I tried to find the puck right away so nobody would grab it,” Kovalchuk said. “It’s his first as a Devil and like I said to himl, ‘It will be the first of many.’ …It’s definitely a monkey off his shoulder.”
Just what the red hot Devils need, another big Russian that can score.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 3
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 13
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)