Feb 5, 2012, 5:14 PM EDT
Anton Volchenkov isn’t what you’d call an offensive defenseman by any stretch. In his ninth season he’s got just 16 goals in his career and now in his second season with the Devils, he had yet to score a goal.
Volchenkov netted his first New Jersey goal this afternoon against the Penguins in his 102nd game with the team. As Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice notes, his teammates may have been more excited about this than he was. Case in point, Ilya Kovalchuk.
“I tried to find the puck right away so nobody would grab it,” Kovalchuk said. “It’s his first as a Devil and like I said to himl, ‘It will be the first of many.’ …It’s definitely a monkey off his shoulder.”
Just what the red hot Devils need, another big Russian that can score.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 25
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)