Feb 5, 2012, 5:14 PM EDT
Anton Volchenkov isn’t what you’d call an offensive defenseman by any stretch. In his ninth season he’s got just 16 goals in his career and now in his second season with the Devils, he had yet to score a goal.
Volchenkov netted his first New Jersey goal this afternoon against the Penguins in his 102nd game with the team. As Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice notes, his teammates may have been more excited about this than he was. Case in point, Ilya Kovalchuk.
“I tried to find the puck right away so nobody would grab it,” Kovalchuk said. “It’s his first as a Devil and like I said to himl, ‘It will be the first of many.’ …It’s definitely a monkey off his shoulder.”
Just what the red hot Devils need, another big Russian that can score.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 6
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22