Feb 5, 2012, 8:45 PM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk got his 750th career point on Sunday when he scored the opening goal in the New Jersey Devils 5-2 victory against the Pittsburgh Penguins and he later added two assists. Sadly, he could not find a sparring partner, so he wasn’t able to secure a second straight Gordie Howe hat trick.
If it’s any consolation, Kovalchuk now has nine points in his last three games and 10 goals over the course of 13 contests. That’s not quite Sam Gagner territory, but it isn’t bad either. Kovalchuk struggled mightily in the first half of his first full campaign with the Devils, but he only got better as the season went on. He didn’t get off to as bad a start this time around, but he has certainly picked up his game as the season has progressed. We could be in for another strong finish from Kovalchuk.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5