Feb 5, 2012, 8:45 PM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk got his 750th career point on Sunday when he scored the opening goal in the New Jersey Devils 5-2 victory against the Pittsburgh Penguins and he later added two assists. Sadly, he could not find a sparring partner, so he wasn’t able to secure a second straight Gordie Howe hat trick.
If it’s any consolation, Kovalchuk now has nine points in his last three games and 10 goals over the course of 13 contests. That’s not quite Sam Gagner territory, but it isn’t bad either. Kovalchuk struggled mightily in the first half of his first full campaign with the Devils, but he only got better as the season went on. He didn’t get off to as bad a start this time around, but he has certainly picked up his game as the season has progressed. We could be in for another strong finish from Kovalchuk.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39