Feb 5, 2012, 8:45 PM EST
Ilya Kovalchuk got his 750th career point on Sunday when he scored the opening goal in the New Jersey Devils 5-2 victory against the Pittsburgh Penguins and he later added two assists. Sadly, he could not find a sparring partner, so he wasn’t able to secure a second straight Gordie Howe hat trick.
If it’s any consolation, Kovalchuk now has nine points in his last three games and 10 goals over the course of 13 contests. That’s not quite Sam Gagner territory, but it isn’t bad either. Kovalchuk struggled mightily in the first half of his first full campaign with the Devils, but he only got better as the season went on. He didn’t get off to as bad a start this time around, but he has certainly picked up his game as the season has progressed. We could be in for another strong finish from Kovalchuk.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 2
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 7
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 20
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11