Feb 5, 2012, 8:45 PM EST
Ilya Kovalchuk got his 750th career point on Sunday when he scored the opening goal in the New Jersey Devils 5-2 victory against the Pittsburgh Penguins and he later added two assists. Sadly, he could not find a sparring partner, so he wasn’t able to secure a second straight Gordie Howe hat trick.
If it’s any consolation, Kovalchuk now has nine points in his last three games and 10 goals over the course of 13 contests. That’s not quite Sam Gagner territory, but it isn’t bad either. Kovalchuk struggled mightily in the first half of his first full campaign with the Devils, but he only got better as the season went on. He didn’t get off to as bad a start this time around, but he has certainly picked up his game as the season has progressed. We could be in for another strong finish from Kovalchuk.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54