Feb 5, 2012, 8:45 PM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk got his 750th career point on Sunday when he scored the opening goal in the New Jersey Devils 5-2 victory against the Pittsburgh Penguins and he later added two assists. Sadly, he could not find a sparring partner, so he wasn’t able to secure a second straight Gordie Howe hat trick.
If it’s any consolation, Kovalchuk now has nine points in his last three games and 10 goals over the course of 13 contests. That’s not quite Sam Gagner territory, but it isn’t bad either. Kovalchuk struggled mightily in the first half of his first full campaign with the Devils, but he only got better as the season went on. He didn’t get off to as bad a start this time around, but he has certainly picked up his game as the season has progressed. We could be in for another strong finish from Kovalchuk.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54