Feb 5, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
Despite the odds, the Edmonton Oilers haven’t completely lost faith. They still think that they have an outside shot of making the playoffs and after going 4-0-1 against the San Jose Sharks, Vancouver Canucks, Colorado Avalanche, Chicago Blackhawks, and Detroit Red Wings, it’s hard to blame them. The math doesn’t work in their favor, but the more immediate problem is that they’re going to be playing their next three games on the road.
“We have to go at least 2-1 on this trip to have any kind of chance,” said Ryan Whitney. “Obviously it’s going to be really tough, but if we’re going down, we’re going down with a fight.”
They certainly have been putting up a good fight, but winning two out of three road games is a tall order for a team that has a pitiful 6-18-2 record outside of the Rexall Place this season. Still, you can bet they’ll be giving it their all on Monday when the incredibly hot Sam Gagner and the Oilers face the Leafs and James Reimer, who has earned back-to-back shutouts. After that, Detroit will get a shot at revenge on Wednesday after the Oilers managed to squeeze out a victory in Saturday’s contest.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 0
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 40
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 29
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 15
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8