Feb 5, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
Despite the odds, the Edmonton Oilers haven’t completely lost faith. They still think that they have an outside shot of making the playoffs and after going 4-0-1 against the San Jose Sharks, Vancouver Canucks, Colorado Avalanche, Chicago Blackhawks, and Detroit Red Wings, it’s hard to blame them. The math doesn’t work in their favor, but the more immediate problem is that they’re going to be playing their next three games on the road.
“We have to go at least 2-1 on this trip to have any kind of chance,” said Ryan Whitney. “Obviously it’s going to be really tough, but if we’re going down, we’re going down with a fight.”
They certainly have been putting up a good fight, but winning two out of three road games is a tall order for a team that has a pitiful 6-18-2 record outside of the Rexall Place this season. Still, you can bet they’ll be giving it their all on Monday when the incredibly hot Sam Gagner and the Oilers face the Leafs and James Reimer, who has earned back-to-back shutouts. After that, Detroit will get a shot at revenge on Wednesday after the Oilers managed to squeeze out a victory in Saturday’s contest.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 6
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 43
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 72
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 26
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40