Feb 4, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
Rinaldo followed up his questionable hit on Jacob Josefson in the second period of Saturday’s 6-4 loss to New Jersey by kicking Zach Parise’s foot out from under him with 8:22 minutes left in the third. That inspired Kovalchuk to grab Rinaldo, but Schenn broke the two up and declared that he was going to fight Kovalchuk.
Kovalchuk bested Schenn and earned his first Gordie Howe hat trick in the process. Although Kovalchuk added later with a smile that it would be his, “first of many.” Maybe he’ll end up with another partner when the Devils and Flyers engage in a home-and-home series on March 11 and 13.
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 0
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55