Feb 4, 2012, 11:39 AM EST
Sam Gagner‘s incredible eight-point game against Chicago is something that we haven’t seen since Mario Lemieux scored eight points in 1989. While one game makes for an incredible feat, how you follow it up could mean a lot for Gagner.
One thing Gagner won’t want to do tonight against Detroit is to follow in Lemieux’s footsteps.
The game after Super Mario scored eight points in ’89, he followed that up with a stinkbomb of a game going pointless against Washington with a -3 rating in an 8-0 rout by the Capitals. Gagner going against Detroit provides the potential for a similar beat down, but he’ll have some things working in his favor.
Detroit’s top goalie, Jimmy Howard, is out of action with a broken pinkie finger which means former Oiler and current Wings backup Ty Conklin gets the call in goal. Conklin has had a poor season backing up Howard and the Wings have been just an average team on the road this season.
If Gagner wants to cement home the reasons why he shouldn’t be traded, notching a couple points against Detroit and continuing to produce will help.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2