Feb 4, 2012, 11:39 AM EST
Sam Gagner‘s incredible eight-point game against Chicago is something that we haven’t seen since Mario Lemieux scored eight points in 1989. While one game makes for an incredible feat, how you follow it up could mean a lot for Gagner.
One thing Gagner won’t want to do tonight against Detroit is to follow in Lemieux’s footsteps.
The game after Super Mario scored eight points in ’89, he followed that up with a stinkbomb of a game going pointless against Washington with a -3 rating in an 8-0 rout by the Capitals. Gagner going against Detroit provides the potential for a similar beat down, but he’ll have some things working in his favor.
Detroit’s top goalie, Jimmy Howard, is out of action with a broken pinkie finger which means former Oiler and current Wings backup Ty Conklin gets the call in goal. Conklin has had a poor season backing up Howard and the Wings have been just an average team on the road this season.
If Gagner wants to cement home the reasons why he shouldn’t be traded, notching a couple points against Detroit and continuing to produce will help.
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 5
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 15
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 17
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 29