Feb 4, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT
Sam Gagner‘s incredible eight-point game against Chicago is something that we haven’t seen since Mario Lemieux scored eight points in 1989. While one game makes for an incredible feat, how you follow it up could mean a lot for Gagner.
One thing Gagner won’t want to do tonight against Detroit is to follow in Lemieux’s footsteps.
The game after Super Mario scored eight points in ’89, he followed that up with a stinkbomb of a game going pointless against Washington with a -3 rating in an 8-0 rout by the Capitals. Gagner going against Detroit provides the potential for a similar beat down, but he’ll have some things working in his favor.
Detroit’s top goalie, Jimmy Howard, is out of action with a broken pinkie finger which means former Oiler and current Wings backup Ty Conklin gets the call in goal. Conklin has had a poor season backing up Howard and the Wings have been just an average team on the road this season.
If Gagner wants to cement home the reasons why he shouldn’t be traded, notching a couple points against Detroit and continuing to produce will help.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 0
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53