Feb 4, 2012, 5:48 PM EDT
Vokoun had 30 saves in earning his third shutout of the season and 47th in his career while Alex Semin had a penalty shot goal and an assist to lead the way to a sleepy 3-0 win over a spiraling downward Montreal team. The shutout pushes Vokoun past Ken Dryden for 26th on the all-time shutout list.
Vokoun headed into this weekend’s action wondering when exactly he’d be playing even though he was open to playing more. Coach Dale Hunter has been working both Vokoun and Michal Neuvirth in and out of goal lately. After seeing Vokoun turn aside all Canadiens shots today, however, Hunter will have a curious decision on who to start tomorrow afternoon against Boston.
It would normally take a solid performance by a goalie to outshine Alex Ovechkin in a game, but Ovechkin’s lackluster return to action today left the door open to get the spotlight stolen easily. Earning a shutout that helps him pass a Canadiens legend in Dryden helps pour a bit more salt in the wounds for Habs fans dealing with a miserable season.
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 64
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)