Feb 4, 2012, 3:12 PM EDT
Lifting weights and staying in shape is all part of the NHL routine. For Tampa Bay’s Marc-Andre Bergeron, it’s the reason he’s out of action once again with a back injury.
Bergeron tells Damian Cristodero of Lightning Strikes that lifting too hard and pushing himself too much to return to action is what helped keep him out of the Lightning lineup and it’s a mistake he made when injured last season too.
“It’s unfortunate and like I said, I should have known better,” Bergeron said. “But at the same time, you always do things with the right intentions and sometimes the results are unfortunate. You’re driving your car and you don’t want to crash it, but sometimes it happens.”
Bergeron wanting to hurry back and help the Lightning try to climb up the Eastern Conference standings is a noble move, but for a guy who was leading the team in points early in the season to make the same mistake twice, that’s pretty rough. The Lightning are getting healthy and Bergeron should be back soon, but next time he gets that itch to hurry back he’d be better off spending his time skating rather than lifting.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 46
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 35
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)