Feb 4, 2012, 3:12 PM EDT
Lifting weights and staying in shape is all part of the NHL routine. For Tampa Bay’s Marc-Andre Bergeron, it’s the reason he’s out of action once again with a back injury.
Bergeron tells Damian Cristodero of Lightning Strikes that lifting too hard and pushing himself too much to return to action is what helped keep him out of the Lightning lineup and it’s a mistake he made when injured last season too.
“It’s unfortunate and like I said, I should have known better,” Bergeron said. “But at the same time, you always do things with the right intentions and sometimes the results are unfortunate. You’re driving your car and you don’t want to crash it, but sometimes it happens.”
Bergeron wanting to hurry back and help the Lightning try to climb up the Eastern Conference standings is a noble move, but for a guy who was leading the team in points early in the season to make the same mistake twice, that’s pretty rough. The Lightning are getting healthy and Bergeron should be back soon, but next time he gets that itch to hurry back he’d be better off spending his time skating rather than lifting.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)