Feb 4, 2012, 3:12 PM EDT
Lifting weights and staying in shape is all part of the NHL routine. For Tampa Bay’s Marc-Andre Bergeron, it’s the reason he’s out of action once again with a back injury.
Bergeron tells Damian Cristodero of Lightning Strikes that lifting too hard and pushing himself too much to return to action is what helped keep him out of the Lightning lineup and it’s a mistake he made when injured last season too.
“It’s unfortunate and like I said, I should have known better,” Bergeron said. “But at the same time, you always do things with the right intentions and sometimes the results are unfortunate. You’re driving your car and you don’t want to crash it, but sometimes it happens.”
Bergeron wanting to hurry back and help the Lightning try to climb up the Eastern Conference standings is a noble move, but for a guy who was leading the team in points early in the season to make the same mistake twice, that’s pretty rough. The Lightning are getting healthy and Bergeron should be back soon, but next time he gets that itch to hurry back he’d be better off spending his time skating rather than lifting.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)