Feb 4, 2012, 3:12 PM EST
Lifting weights and staying in shape is all part of the NHL routine. For Tampa Bay’s Marc-Andre Bergeron, it’s the reason he’s out of action once again with a back injury.
Bergeron tells Damian Cristodero of Lightning Strikes that lifting too hard and pushing himself too much to return to action is what helped keep him out of the Lightning lineup and it’s a mistake he made when injured last season too.
“It’s unfortunate and like I said, I should have known better,” Bergeron said. “But at the same time, you always do things with the right intentions and sometimes the results are unfortunate. You’re driving your car and you don’t want to crash it, but sometimes it happens.”
Bergeron wanting to hurry back and help the Lightning try to climb up the Eastern Conference standings is a noble move, but for a guy who was leading the team in points early in the season to make the same mistake twice, that’s pretty rough. The Lightning are getting healthy and Bergeron should be back soon, but next time he gets that itch to hurry back he’d be better off spending his time skating rather than lifting.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)