Feb 4, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
That initial prognosis, however, might have been really optimistic as Howard tells Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press that doctors tell him he might be out a bit longer than thought.
“I’m hopeful it won’t take the 4-to-6 weeks that they’re calling for,” Howard said. “Hopefully, it’s only a couple of weeks. I’m being optimistic. I don’t really know what the time line is, to be honest. Hopefully, I can be back even sooner.”
Up to six weeks without Howard in goal? That would be a huge problem. Howard says that the initial statement of being out for just a couple games was just a guess on his part and that he thinks he could be back in two weeks.
Howard also says he’s played with broken fingers before and he doesn’t think there will be any harm in playing in a couple weeks. That’s more up to the doctors to decide than it is for Howard, but if the Wings struggle without him the pressure will be on to hurry back.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)