Feb 4, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
That initial prognosis, however, might have been really optimistic as Howard tells Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press that doctors tell him he might be out a bit longer than thought.
“I’m hopeful it won’t take the 4-to-6 weeks that they’re calling for,” Howard said. “Hopefully, it’s only a couple of weeks. I’m being optimistic. I don’t really know what the time line is, to be honest. Hopefully, I can be back even sooner.”
Up to six weeks without Howard in goal? That would be a huge problem. Howard says that the initial statement of being out for just a couple games was just a guess on his part and that he thinks he could be back in two weeks.
Howard also says he’s played with broken fingers before and he doesn’t think there will be any harm in playing in a couple weeks. That’s more up to the doctors to decide than it is for Howard, but if the Wings struggle without him the pressure will be on to hurry back.
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 0
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 1
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)