Feb 4, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
That initial prognosis, however, might have been really optimistic as Howard tells Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press that doctors tell him he might be out a bit longer than thought.
“I’m hopeful it won’t take the 4-to-6 weeks that they’re calling for,” Howard said. “Hopefully, it’s only a couple of weeks. I’m being optimistic. I don’t really know what the time line is, to be honest. Hopefully, I can be back even sooner.”
Up to six weeks without Howard in goal? That would be a huge problem. Howard says that the initial statement of being out for just a couple games was just a guess on his part and that he thinks he could be back in two weeks.
Howard also says he’s played with broken fingers before and he doesn’t think there will be any harm in playing in a couple weeks. That’s more up to the doctors to decide than it is for Howard, but if the Wings struggle without him the pressure will be on to hurry back.
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 0
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22