Feb 4, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
That initial prognosis, however, might have been really optimistic as Howard tells Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press that doctors tell him he might be out a bit longer than thought.
“I’m hopeful it won’t take the 4-to-6 weeks that they’re calling for,” Howard said. “Hopefully, it’s only a couple of weeks. I’m being optimistic. I don’t really know what the time line is, to be honest. Hopefully, I can be back even sooner.”
Up to six weeks without Howard in goal? That would be a huge problem. Howard says that the initial statement of being out for just a couple games was just a guess on his part and that he thinks he could be back in two weeks.
Howard also says he’s played with broken fingers before and he doesn’t think there will be any harm in playing in a couple weeks. That’s more up to the doctors to decide than it is for Howard, but if the Wings struggle without him the pressure will be on to hurry back.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 59
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5