Feb 4, 2012, 9:23 PM EST
Jeff Carter doesn’t have a no-trade clause, according to what Eric Francis said on Hockey Night In Canada’s Hot Stove. That echoes what Columbus Dispatch’s writer Aaron Portzline tweeted Saturday evening. Carter would have had a no-trade clause had he remained with the Philadelphia Flyers, but it didn’t transfer over when the Blue Jackets acquired him over the summer.
That removes a potential wrinkle as the Blue Jackets attempt to trade Carter, but the question remains: Who would take him? Carter’s turbulent and injury filled season might be just as good as a no-trade clause, especially seeing as whoever takes him will be committing to him through the 2021-22 season. That being said, he might turn his season around in a hurry if he can get away from the dead last Blue Jackets.
One thing appears to be certain: if Carter doesn’t get traded before the Feb. 27 trade deadline, it won’t be because he refused to leave Columbus.
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 7
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 34
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 49
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 11
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 15
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 41
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 24
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)