Feb 4, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
Winnipeg Jets coach Claude Noel is starting to learn the harsh realities of what it’s like to coach the team that used to be called the Atlanta Thrashers. After last night’s loss to Florida, Noel couldn’t help but be frustrated about how the team played and how he just doesn’t have the horses needed to win.
Harvey Fialkov of the Florida Sun-Sentinel gets the word from Noel about how he wishes he had the superstar power to help them overcome adversity.
“Do I like the one goal we get every game? No,” said Noel. “Would I Iike to see it change? Yes. Do I coach that way? No. That’s what we have, but there’s still a way to win the games. We don’t have (Sidney) Crosby or (Evgeni) Malkin. We’ve got what we’ve got.
“Our team right now can’t give up 20 minutes of free freakin’ play and expect you’re gonna be able to win the game.”
Things will get better eventually, but for now it’s one of those slumps. Rather than being upset about what he doesn’t have, Noel should stay focused on how the Jets have a shot at making the postseason instead.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)