Feb 4, 2012, 1:37 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers could be busy at the trade deadline this year thanks to them being out of the playoff race already. One of the players other teams have been checking out all year is Ales Hemsky thanks to his offensive prowess.
According to Jason Gregor of Oilers Nation, however, Hemsky would love to stay around in Edmonton to ride shotgun with the host of young talent they’ve got on board. As you might expect though, there’s a bit of a catch.
“Of course I would like to stay, but it depends on the terms. I can’t really talk about it because I haven’t seen an offer yet. I like the guys here, I like the city, the fans are great and I have lots of friends here. I’ve always been happy here so I’d like to stay.”’
Ah yes, the contract.
Hemsky is due to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and after coming off a deal that saw him make $4.1 million against the cap and a slew of injuries, he’s not likely going to come cheap.
At 28-years-old Hemsky is still tremendously talented and could compare with a guy like Marian Gaborik who dealt with injury problems through big offensive seasons. Hemsky tells Gregor that he feels like he’s just coming into his prime. That’s a pretty good line to use if you’re hoping to find someone to take you out of town.
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 3
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 5
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 8
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 37
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)