Feb 4, 2012, 1:37 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers could be busy at the trade deadline this year thanks to them being out of the playoff race already. One of the players other teams have been checking out all year is Ales Hemsky thanks to his offensive prowess.
According to Jason Gregor of Oilers Nation, however, Hemsky would love to stay around in Edmonton to ride shotgun with the host of young talent they’ve got on board. As you might expect though, there’s a bit of a catch.
“Of course I would like to stay, but it depends on the terms. I can’t really talk about it because I haven’t seen an offer yet. I like the guys here, I like the city, the fans are great and I have lots of friends here. I’ve always been happy here so I’d like to stay.”’
Ah yes, the contract.
Hemsky is due to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and after coming off a deal that saw him make $4.1 million against the cap and a slew of injuries, he’s not likely going to come cheap.
At 28-years-old Hemsky is still tremendously talented and could compare with a guy like Marian Gaborik who dealt with injury problems through big offensive seasons. Hemsky tells Gregor that he feels like he’s just coming into his prime. That’s a pretty good line to use if you’re hoping to find someone to take you out of town.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 20
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 16
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)