Feb 3, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
A funny thing happened to the Sharks on their way to a 5-2 win over Dallas on Thursday night.
Stars agitator extraordinaire Steve Ott got credit for the goal, his eighth of the season.
While the gaffe didn’t end up being costly in a game sense, it was noteworthy for two reasons: One, the goal snapped San Jose’s 196:20 shutout streak (the Sharks hadn’t allowed a goal since Jan. 23.)
Two? It was Boyle scoring the own goal, and Boyle kind of has a history in that department.
Here’s his infamous own goal during the opening round of the 2010 playoffs, ending a scoreless overtime game against Colorado:
And in a similar vein, albeit far less egregious, here’s Boyle knocking a puck into his own goal…off his face:
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5