Feb 3, 2012, 5:11 PM EDT
On Dec. 31, 1988, Super Mario wowed the Pittsburgh faithful by getting in on every goal in an 8-6 win over the New Jersey Devils. It was almost identical to the feat accomplished by Gagner on Thursday night — as a result, the pair are now the only two players in NHL history to have eight points in a game where their teams scored exactly eight goals.
Of course, the two performances weren’t exactly identical.
Mario’s effort was extra special as he became the first — and only — player to ever score five goals five different ways: shorthanded, full strength, power play, penalty shot and empty net.
More, from the Jan. 2, 1989 edition of the Schenectady Gazette:
“That was Mario’s Christmas gift, a little late, to me and the fans,” Pittsburgh coach Gene Ubriaco said. “I’m not going to say it [Lemieux’s performance] was awesome; I’ve said that too many times. What can I say? Someone once said we were a one-game team, and certainly tonight — when he makes up his mind, no one can stop him.”
And in case you’re wondering, yes, that is the first and only Gene Ubriaco reference in PHT history, which is a shame. Might make it my mission to include more.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)