Feb 3, 2012, 1:08 PM EDT
Back in November when Tom Gaglardi was announced as the new owner of the Dallas Stars, he promised to spend money on players if the right opportunities arose.
Flash forward to the present and Gaglardi hasn’t changed his tune. With the Feb. 27 trade deadline approaching, he’s still prepared to open his wallet to improve the team.
“Scoring is a weakness,” Gaglardi told the Star-Telegram yesterday. “We are one or two guys away from having a top six NHL team. So I guess the question is – what do we do about that? Do we have some guys in the system that can step in? We might, but not tomorrow.
“Are we looking at making our team better in the top six? The answer is yes. If that means more payroll, are we prepared to do it? The answer is yes. The question is, what is the cost?”
I seriously doubt GM Joe Nieuwendyk is willing to spend much on a rental player. The Stars aren’t exactly one or two pieces away from winning the Stanley Cup. In fact, they’re in a dogfight to make the playoffs, trailing eight-place Minnesota by three points in the Western Conference. And even if they sneak in to the postseason, what chance do they have against the likes of Detroit or Vancouver?
If the chatter out of St. Louis is true (personally I’m skeptical), perhaps a forward like Chris Stewart would be worth pursuing. He won’t come cheap, but at 24 years old, the pending RFA could make for a nice building block. If the Blues think they’re Cup contenders, maybe they’d be interested in Michael Ryder or Sheldon Souray. And yes, I’m blatantly speculating here.
“We will be pursuing things,” Gaglardi said. “I think we will be active in the trade deadline, and certainly during the summer (during free agency). We are not going to be a floor team (of the NHL’s salary cap). We can’t be a floor team. We have to be in the middle to a top cap team to be able to thrive in Dallas.”
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)