Feb 3, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Elias received a two-minute boarding minor on the hit, which essentially ended Blunden’s night. The hit occurred on Blunden’s seventh and final shift of the first period — he came out for a skate early in the second period but lasted just 17 seconds before he was shut down for the night. The Canadiens have since listed him as out with a lower-body injury.
As mentioned above, Elias and Shanahan played together in New Jersey during the 2008-09 season, and this isn’t the first time Shanahan’s had to deal with disciplinary issues involving the Devils, who drafted him 2nd overall at the 1987 NHL Entry Draft.
Back in November, Shanahan paid a courtesy call to Devils GM Lou Lamoriello after hits to Dainius Zubrus (by Tyler Myers) and Anton Volchenkov (by Shawn Matthias) were not subjected to supplementary punishment.
Lamoriello said he appreciated the call, though it wasn’t necessary — “Brendan knows me and I know Brendan,” he explained. “I respect the job they have to do.”
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22