Feb 3, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Elias received a two-minute boarding minor on the hit, which essentially ended Blunden’s night. The hit occurred on Blunden’s seventh and final shift of the first period — he came out for a skate early in the second period but lasted just 17 seconds before he was shut down for the night. The Canadiens have since listed him as out with a lower-body injury.
As mentioned above, Elias and Shanahan played together in New Jersey during the 2008-09 season, and this isn’t the first time Shanahan’s had to deal with disciplinary issues involving the Devils, who drafted him 2nd overall at the 1987 NHL Entry Draft.
Back in November, Shanahan paid a courtesy call to Devils GM Lou Lamoriello after hits to Dainius Zubrus (by Tyler Myers) and Anton Volchenkov (by Shawn Matthias) were not subjected to supplementary punishment.
Lamoriello said he appreciated the call, though it wasn’t necessary — “Brendan knows me and I know Brendan,” he explained. “I respect the job they have to do.”
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40