Feb 3, 2012, 12:05 PM EST
Elias received a two-minute boarding minor on the hit, which essentially ended Blunden’s night. The hit occurred on Blunden’s seventh and final shift of the first period — he came out for a skate early in the second period but lasted just 17 seconds before he was shut down for the night. The Canadiens have since listed him as out with a lower-body injury.
As mentioned above, Elias and Shanahan played together in New Jersey during the 2008-09 season, and this isn’t the first time Shanahan’s had to deal with disciplinary issues involving the Devils, who drafted him 2nd overall at the 1987 NHL Entry Draft.
Back in November, Shanahan paid a courtesy call to Devils GM Lou Lamoriello after hits to Dainius Zubrus (by Tyler Myers) and Anton Volchenkov (by Shawn Matthias) were not subjected to supplementary punishment.
Lamoriello said he appreciated the call, though it wasn’t necessary — “Brendan knows me and I know Brendan,” he explained. “I respect the job they have to do.”
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 15
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 21
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 62
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17