Feb 3, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Elias received a two-minute boarding minor on the hit, which essentially ended Blunden’s night. The hit occurred on Blunden’s seventh and final shift of the first period — he came out for a skate early in the second period but lasted just 17 seconds before he was shut down for the night. The Canadiens have since listed him as out with a lower-body injury.
As mentioned above, Elias and Shanahan played together in New Jersey during the 2008-09 season, and this isn’t the first time Shanahan’s had to deal with disciplinary issues involving the Devils, who drafted him 2nd overall at the 1987 NHL Entry Draft.
Back in November, Shanahan paid a courtesy call to Devils GM Lou Lamoriello after hits to Dainius Zubrus (by Tyler Myers) and Anton Volchenkov (by Shawn Matthias) were not subjected to supplementary punishment.
Lamoriello said he appreciated the call, though it wasn’t necessary — “Brendan knows me and I know Brendan,” he explained. “I respect the job they have to do.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)