Feb 3, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Elias received a two-minute boarding minor on the hit, which essentially ended Blunden’s night. The hit occurred on Blunden’s seventh and final shift of the first period — he came out for a skate early in the second period but lasted just 17 seconds before he was shut down for the night. The Canadiens have since listed him as out with a lower-body injury.
As mentioned above, Elias and Shanahan played together in New Jersey during the 2008-09 season, and this isn’t the first time Shanahan’s had to deal with disciplinary issues involving the Devils, who drafted him 2nd overall at the 1987 NHL Entry Draft.
Back in November, Shanahan paid a courtesy call to Devils GM Lou Lamoriello after hits to Dainius Zubrus (by Tyler Myers) and Anton Volchenkov (by Shawn Matthias) were not subjected to supplementary punishment.
Lamoriello said he appreciated the call, though it wasn’t necessary — “Brendan knows me and I know Brendan,” he explained. “I respect the job they have to do.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)