Feb 3, 2012, 8:31 PM EDT
Considering the fact that Gagner has the pedigree of being an early first-round pick, some might wonder if this could be the jolt he needs to go from a 40-ish point scorer to an impact player. The Canadian Press’ Chris Johnston caught up with one person thinking along those lines: Gagner’s father Dave.
“I think he’s kind of getting to that point where he’s very comfortable with who he is,” Dave Gagner said. “You know, I think he’s able to express himself a little bit more now. Hopefully this will catapult him to higher levels now.”
Dave Gagner believes that his son is growing and learning that he must focus on the small details in a league where there are plenty of players at his skill level (or better).
“You find out it’s a really difficult league to do well in on a nightly basis because everybody’s good and everybody’s prepared,” Dave Gagner said. “You’re not really fooling anybody so you have to be just that much sharper in all the things that go into your preparation.”
“I think Sam’s really understanding that now. He understands it’s a very fine line between success and failure.”
Perhaps realizing that he can accomplish something like this will push Sam Gagner that much closer to the “success” side.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)