Feb 3, 2012, 12:39 PM EST
Smyth, who’ll turn 36 on Feb. 21, has enjoyed a solid campaign for Edmonton after requesting a trade out of Los Angeles, scoring 16 goals while averaging a shade under 20 minutes a game. He’s one of four Oilers to play all 51 games this year, leading the team in even-strength goals while ranking third in power-play markers.
Smyth also has some ties to the Rangers organization. New York general manager Glen Sather drafted him sixth overall at the 1994 draft while serving as Oilers GM (according to Brooks, the two have maintained a “good relationship,”) — Smyth also played alongside Rangers center Brad Richards on the Canadian team at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino.
So, are the Rangers interested in Smyth? You’d have to think Sather would at least kick his tires — New York is reportedly in the market for a winger (also, a defenseman) and Smyth’s gritty net-front presence would probably help out the anemic power play (the Rangers have the league’s fifth-worst PP.)
The issue, of course, would be if New York could fit Smyth in under the cap — he’s in the final year of a deal that pays him $6.25 million annually. The Rangers did make an interesting move today by shipping out Erik Christensen (and his $925,000 deal) to Minnesota, which could be a precursor to a larger move.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)