Feb 3, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
Canadiens head coach Randy Cunneyworth was highly critical of referees Ghislain Hebert and Chris Lee after Montreal’s 5-3 loss to New Jersey on Thursday night.
“We were battling and working hard and I liked for the most part the effort and the desperation,” Cunneyworth told the Montreal Gazette following the game. “The difference was the penalties. It’s hard to fight a good team when you’re down a man for as much time as we were.”
Montreal was whistled for four penalties on the night, New Jersey three, though it was the non-calls that really drew Cunneyworth’s ire. Specifically, an alleged missed hooking call on Zach Parise‘s game-winning goal.
“[Erik] Cole was obviously hooked and could not battle to get the puck out of his zone. He was held up by [Ilya] Kovalchuk and that’s a little bit beyond comprehension for me,” Cunneyworth explained. “It’s tough enough playing a team straight up, but when you don’t get the calls, especially on the one that made the difference.”
That Hebert was at the center of this game is interesting — he was one of the referees that Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville blasted after a 2-0 loss to L.A. back in December. Quenneville said the work of Hebert and fellow official Tom Kowal was “tough to watch.”
Hebert was also one of the referees working the Milan Lucic-Ryan Miller game and the one that famously called the “Sean Avery Rule” on Flyers defenseman Chris Pronger in 2010.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Getting clutch? Capitals reportedly sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 8
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 21
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)