Feb 3, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
Canadiens head coach Randy Cunneyworth was highly critical of referees Ghislain Hebert and Chris Lee after Montreal’s 5-3 loss to New Jersey on Thursday night.
“We were battling and working hard and I liked for the most part the effort and the desperation,” Cunneyworth told the Montreal Gazette following the game. “The difference was the penalties. It’s hard to fight a good team when you’re down a man for as much time as we were.”
Montreal was whistled for four penalties on the night, New Jersey three, though it was the non-calls that really drew Cunneyworth’s ire. Specifically, an alleged missed hooking call on Zach Parise‘s game-winning goal.
“[Erik] Cole was obviously hooked and could not battle to get the puck out of his zone. He was held up by [Ilya] Kovalchuk and that’s a little bit beyond comprehension for me,” Cunneyworth explained. “It’s tough enough playing a team straight up, but when you don’t get the calls, especially on the one that made the difference.”
That Hebert was at the center of this game is interesting — he was one of the referees that Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville blasted after a 2-0 loss to L.A. back in December. Quenneville said the work of Hebert and fellow official Tom Kowal was “tough to watch.”
Hebert was also one of the referees working the Milan Lucic-Ryan Miller game and the one that famously called the “Sean Avery Rule” on Flyers defenseman Chris Pronger in 2010.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 22
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)