Feb 3, 2012, 3:17 PM EST
Patrick Roy has run afoul of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
And no, this is not a repeat.
The GM/coach of the Quebec Remparts was fined $5,000 on Friday for blasting QMJHL commissioner Gilles Courteau, telling reporters Courteau forced his injured star player, Mikhail Grigorenko, to participate in Wednesday’s CHL/NHL Top Prospects game.
“I find it extremely unfortunate that we seem to want to promote the league’s image instead of protecting the players,” Roy told QMI’s French sports channel, TVA Sports. “When you have a commissioner who’s thinking about his own future, we forget the kids and that’s the problem.”
Grigorenko, 17, is a top-ranked prospect for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft and leads the Remparts with 28 goals. As such, it’s understandable why Roy didn’t want him playing in the Prospect Game…something he made abundantly clear when he proceeded to blast the commissioners of the CHL and WHL, David Branch and Ron Robison.
“The image of Commissioners like Gilles Courteau, David Branch and Ron Robison has become bigger than their own leagues,” Roy said.
The $5,000 fine is Roy’s third in five months. The Hall of Fame goalie was also dinged for blasting QMJHL discipline czar Raymond Bolduc back in October and for criticizing a video official in Victoriaville last month.
And since the video footage is so compelling, let’s not forget Roy was suspended five games in 2008 for allegedly encouraging his son, Jonathan, to beat up an opposing goalie:
(Johnny boy is No. 30 in red, in case you didn’t figure it out.)
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 13
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 37
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)