Feb 3, 2012, 3:17 PM EDT
Patrick Roy has run afoul of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
And no, this is not a repeat.
The GM/coach of the Quebec Remparts was fined $5,000 on Friday for blasting QMJHL commissioner Gilles Courteau, telling reporters Courteau forced his injured star player, Mikhail Grigorenko, to participate in Wednesday’s CHL/NHL Top Prospects game.
“I find it extremely unfortunate that we seem to want to promote the league’s image instead of protecting the players,” Roy told QMI’s French sports channel, TVA Sports. “When you have a commissioner who’s thinking about his own future, we forget the kids and that’s the problem.”
Grigorenko, 17, is a top-ranked prospect for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft and leads the Remparts with 28 goals. As such, it’s understandable why Roy didn’t want him playing in the Prospect Game…something he made abundantly clear when he proceeded to blast the commissioners of the CHL and WHL, David Branch and Ron Robison.
“The image of Commissioners like Gilles Courteau, David Branch and Ron Robison has become bigger than their own leagues,” Roy said.
The $5,000 fine is Roy’s third in five months. The Hall of Fame goalie was also dinged for blasting QMJHL discipline czar Raymond Bolduc back in October and for criticizing a video official in Victoriaville last month.
And since the video footage is so compelling, let’s not forget Roy was suspended five games in 2008 for allegedly encouraging his son, Jonathan, to beat up an opposing goalie:
(Johnny boy is No. 30 in red, in case you didn’t figure it out.)
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)