Feb 3, 2012, 3:17 PM EDT
Patrick Roy has run afoul of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
And no, this is not a repeat.
The GM/coach of the Quebec Remparts was fined $5,000 on Friday for blasting QMJHL commissioner Gilles Courteau, telling reporters Courteau forced his injured star player, Mikhail Grigorenko, to participate in Wednesday’s CHL/NHL Top Prospects game.
“I find it extremely unfortunate that we seem to want to promote the league’s image instead of protecting the players,” Roy told QMI’s French sports channel, TVA Sports. “When you have a commissioner who’s thinking about his own future, we forget the kids and that’s the problem.”
Grigorenko, 17, is a top-ranked prospect for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft and leads the Remparts with 28 goals. As such, it’s understandable why Roy didn’t want him playing in the Prospect Game…something he made abundantly clear when he proceeded to blast the commissioners of the CHL and WHL, David Branch and Ron Robison.
“The image of Commissioners like Gilles Courteau, David Branch and Ron Robison has become bigger than their own leagues,” Roy said.
The $5,000 fine is Roy’s third in five months. The Hall of Fame goalie was also dinged for blasting QMJHL discipline czar Raymond Bolduc back in October and for criticizing a video official in Victoriaville last month.
And since the video footage is so compelling, let’s not forget Roy was suspended five games in 2008 for allegedly encouraging his son, Jonathan, to beat up an opposing goalie:
(Johnny boy is No. 30 in red, in case you didn’t figure it out.)
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 5
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 8
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 6
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 89
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (92)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)