Feb 3, 2012, 3:17 PM EDT
Patrick Roy has run afoul of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
And no, this is not a repeat.
The GM/coach of the Quebec Remparts was fined $5,000 on Friday for blasting QMJHL commissioner Gilles Courteau, telling reporters Courteau forced his injured star player, Mikhail Grigorenko, to participate in Wednesday’s CHL/NHL Top Prospects game.
“I find it extremely unfortunate that we seem to want to promote the league’s image instead of protecting the players,” Roy told QMI’s French sports channel, TVA Sports. “When you have a commissioner who’s thinking about his own future, we forget the kids and that’s the problem.”
Grigorenko, 17, is a top-ranked prospect for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft and leads the Remparts with 28 goals. As such, it’s understandable why Roy didn’t want him playing in the Prospect Game…something he made abundantly clear when he proceeded to blast the commissioners of the CHL and WHL, David Branch and Ron Robison.
“The image of Commissioners like Gilles Courteau, David Branch and Ron Robison has become bigger than their own leagues,” Roy said.
The $5,000 fine is Roy’s third in five months. The Hall of Fame goalie was also dinged for blasting QMJHL discipline czar Raymond Bolduc back in October and for criticizing a video official in Victoriaville last month.
And since the video footage is so compelling, let’s not forget Roy was suspended five games in 2008 for allegedly encouraging his son, Jonathan, to beat up an opposing goalie:
(Johnny boy is No. 30 in red, in case you didn’t figure it out.)
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)