Feb 3, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
No doubt about it, Edmonton Oilers forward Sam Gagner is the talk of the hockey world after scoring a whopping eight points in one game. Still, for every historic producer, there must be a victim – and the Chicago Blackhawks played that role on Thursday.
Gagner and the Oil beat them 8-4 last night, but this wasn’t the first time Edmonton handed the Blackhawks a one-sided loss in 2011-12. The Oilers finished 3-1-0 in the season series, but the most notable other beating came when Edmonton topped Chicago 9-2 on Nov. 19.
To Chicago’s credit, the team went on a tear in the next 13 games.
The ‘Hawks started that run by losing 1-0 to the San Jose Sharks, but only after pouring 34 shots on a locked-in Antti Niemi. From that point, the Blackhawks went 11-2-1. It was a great way to close out 2011, but they’ve been a little shaky in the New Year (5-8-2 in 15 contests).
Surely it’s an embarrassing output for a franchise that won the Stanley Cup in 2010, but perhaps Joel Quenneville can transform that negative energy into a red-hot run – again.
If nothing else, they should be glad that it’s extremely unlikely that they’ll face the Oilers again until next season.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)