Feb 3, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
No doubt about it, Edmonton Oilers forward Sam Gagner is the talk of the hockey world after scoring a whopping eight points in one game. Still, for every historic producer, there must be a victim – and the Chicago Blackhawks played that role on Thursday.
Gagner and the Oil beat them 8-4 last night, but this wasn’t the first time Edmonton handed the Blackhawks a one-sided loss in 2011-12. The Oilers finished 3-1-0 in the season series, but the most notable other beating came when Edmonton topped Chicago 9-2 on Nov. 19.
To Chicago’s credit, the team went on a tear in the next 13 games.
The ‘Hawks started that run by losing 1-0 to the San Jose Sharks, but only after pouring 34 shots on a locked-in Antti Niemi. From that point, the Blackhawks went 11-2-1. It was a great way to close out 2011, but they’ve been a little shaky in the New Year (5-8-2 in 15 contests).
Surely it’s an embarrassing output for a franchise that won the Stanley Cup in 2010, but perhaps Joel Quenneville can transform that negative energy into a red-hot run – again.
If nothing else, they should be glad that it’s extremely unlikely that they’ll face the Oilers again until next season.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)