Feb 3, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
No doubt about it, Edmonton Oilers forward Sam Gagner is the talk of the hockey world after scoring a whopping eight points in one game. Still, for every historic producer, there must be a victim – and the Chicago Blackhawks played that role on Thursday.
Gagner and the Oil beat them 8-4 last night, but this wasn’t the first time Edmonton handed the Blackhawks a one-sided loss in 2011-12. The Oilers finished 3-1-0 in the season series, but the most notable other beating came when Edmonton topped Chicago 9-2 on Nov. 19.
To Chicago’s credit, the team went on a tear in the next 13 games.
The ‘Hawks started that run by losing 1-0 to the San Jose Sharks, but only after pouring 34 shots on a locked-in Antti Niemi. From that point, the Blackhawks went 11-2-1. It was a great way to close out 2011, but they’ve been a little shaky in the New Year (5-8-2 in 15 contests).
Surely it’s an embarrassing output for a franchise that won the Stanley Cup in 2010, but perhaps Joel Quenneville can transform that negative energy into a red-hot run – again.
If nothing else, they should be glad that it’s extremely unlikely that they’ll face the Oilers again until next season.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights