Feb 3, 2012, 7:52 PM EDT
When you allow eight goals to a team that seems primed for the draft lottery, it’s reasonable to be concerned.
Lax defensive performances aren’t a rare thing for the Chicago Blackhawks, however, as they’re allowing 2.9 goals per game (ranking them 25th in the NHL). That’s not exactly a comforting stat for a team still within a stone’s throw of the top seed in the West, so it should come as no surprise that GM Stan Bowman told ESPN Chicago that he’s still looking for help on the blueline.
“Our top four defensemen have played very well, but you do concern yourself with overloading them too much,” Bowman said. “So if you’ve got guys in the third pair that can eat up some more of those minutes it would be an ideal situation.”
Bowman admits that depth seems to be on the top of his shopping list – perhaps because goaltending help might be too expensive or hard to come by – but he also explains that there aren’t a lot of sellers on the trade market right now.
In other words, for the time being, Chicago will probably aim to simply outscore its opponents.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 7
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 56
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (57)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)