Feb 3, 2012, 7:52 PM EDT
When you allow eight goals to a team that seems primed for the draft lottery, it’s reasonable to be concerned.
Lax defensive performances aren’t a rare thing for the Chicago Blackhawks, however, as they’re allowing 2.9 goals per game (ranking them 25th in the NHL). That’s not exactly a comforting stat for a team still within a stone’s throw of the top seed in the West, so it should come as no surprise that GM Stan Bowman told ESPN Chicago that he’s still looking for help on the blueline.
“Our top four defensemen have played very well, but you do concern yourself with overloading them too much,” Bowman said. “So if you’ve got guys in the third pair that can eat up some more of those minutes it would be an ideal situation.”
Bowman admits that depth seems to be on the top of his shopping list – perhaps because goaltending help might be too expensive or hard to come by – but he also explains that there aren’t a lot of sellers on the trade market right now.
In other words, for the time being, Chicago will probably aim to simply outscore its opponents.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)