Feb 3, 2012, 7:52 PM EDT
When you allow eight goals to a team that seems primed for the draft lottery, it’s reasonable to be concerned.
Lax defensive performances aren’t a rare thing for the Chicago Blackhawks, however, as they’re allowing 2.9 goals per game (ranking them 25th in the NHL). That’s not exactly a comforting stat for a team still within a stone’s throw of the top seed in the West, so it should come as no surprise that GM Stan Bowman told ESPN Chicago that he’s still looking for help on the blueline.
“Our top four defensemen have played very well, but you do concern yourself with overloading them too much,” Bowman said. “So if you’ve got guys in the third pair that can eat up some more of those minutes it would be an ideal situation.”
Bowman admits that depth seems to be on the top of his shopping list – perhaps because goaltending help might be too expensive or hard to come by – but he also explains that there aren’t a lot of sellers on the trade market right now.
In other words, for the time being, Chicago will probably aim to simply outscore its opponents.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)