Feb 3, 2012, 9:10 PM EDT
Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin isn’t exactly used to getting nearly two weeks off in January. That’s what happened when a three-game suspension and a vetoed All-Star appearance combined for 12 days off aside from practices, though.
To little surprise, Ovechkin told CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley that he misses hockey; head coach Dale Hunter went as far as to say that he’s “dying to get back.”
Considering Ovechkin’s relative struggles this season, it really might be a blessing in disguise. The 82-game season must be a serious grind – and it’s not as if Ovechkin had many full off-seasons with playoff runs and summer tournaments cutting his breaks down to small installments.
Sure, he’s only 26 years old, but getting that break – plus experiencing the discomfort of watching his team from the sidelines – might just give Ovechkin the boost to play closer to the levels that put him among the NHL’s true elites before slumping a bit starting last season.
Just don’t expect Ovechkin to stop throwing his body around when he gets back.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)