Feb 3, 2012, 9:10 PM EST
Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin isn’t exactly used to getting nearly two weeks off in January. That’s what happened when a three-game suspension and a vetoed All-Star appearance combined for 12 days off aside from practices, though.
To little surprise, Ovechkin told CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley that he misses hockey; head coach Dale Hunter went as far as to say that he’s “dying to get back.”
Considering Ovechkin’s relative struggles this season, it really might be a blessing in disguise. The 82-game season must be a serious grind – and it’s not as if Ovechkin had many full off-seasons with playoff runs and summer tournaments cutting his breaks down to small installments.
Sure, he’s only 26 years old, but getting that break – plus experiencing the discomfort of watching his team from the sidelines – might just give Ovechkin the boost to play closer to the levels that put him among the NHL’s true elites before slumping a bit starting last season.
Just don’t expect Ovechkin to stop throwing his body around when he gets back.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 80
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 96
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (96)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (87)