Feb 3, 2012, 9:10 PM EDT
Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin isn’t exactly used to getting nearly two weeks off in January. That’s what happened when a three-game suspension and a vetoed All-Star appearance combined for 12 days off aside from practices, though.
To little surprise, Ovechkin told CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley that he misses hockey; head coach Dale Hunter went as far as to say that he’s “dying to get back.”
Considering Ovechkin’s relative struggles this season, it really might be a blessing in disguise. The 82-game season must be a serious grind – and it’s not as if Ovechkin had many full off-seasons with playoff runs and summer tournaments cutting his breaks down to small installments.
Sure, he’s only 26 years old, but getting that break – plus experiencing the discomfort of watching his team from the sidelines – might just give Ovechkin the boost to play closer to the levels that put him among the NHL’s true elites before slumping a bit starting last season.
Just don’t expect Ovechkin to stop throwing his body around when he gets back.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 18
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)