Feb 3, 2012, 9:10 PM EDT
Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin isn’t exactly used to getting nearly two weeks off in January. That’s what happened when a three-game suspension and a vetoed All-Star appearance combined for 12 days off aside from practices, though.
To little surprise, Ovechkin told CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley that he misses hockey; head coach Dale Hunter went as far as to say that he’s “dying to get back.”
Considering Ovechkin’s relative struggles this season, it really might be a blessing in disguise. The 82-game season must be a serious grind – and it’s not as if Ovechkin had many full off-seasons with playoff runs and summer tournaments cutting his breaks down to small installments.
Sure, he’s only 26 years old, but getting that break – plus experiencing the discomfort of watching his team from the sidelines – might just give Ovechkin the boost to play closer to the levels that put him among the NHL’s true elites before slumping a bit starting last season.
Just don’t expect Ovechkin to stop throwing his body around when he gets back.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 3
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 5
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)