Feb 2, 2012, 10:59 AM EDT
Buffalo goalie Ryan Miller had another great game last night, shutting out the Rangers on the way to a Sabres loss.
Nope, that wasn’t a typo. New York ended up winning, 1-0, in a shootout. However, Miller’s recent play suggests the former Vezina winner is back on top of his game.
What happens between now and the NHL trade deadline will reveal how the Sabres feel about Miller and a few others. He has a 0.63 goals-against average and .976 save percentage in his last three games. The better he plays, the greater his value. The better he plays, the more tempted they are to keep him.
And that’s what makes the coming weeks so intriguing. Do they trade him with the idea they can make significant upgrades in other areas, assuming they can find a trading partner to take his salary? Or do they keep him with the risk he’ll have another season like this one?
When asked about the possibility of being traded, Miller replied, “If they came to me and said they wanted to move me, I would want to know why. That hasn’t been the case. No one has ever asked about my feelings regarding players and movement, especially with myself. People think there’s more discussion being done behind the scenes than there really is.”
Miller has two years remaining on a contract with a cap hit of $6.25 million. If the Sabres wanted to trade him, they probably could. But would they?
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 0
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 50
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 40
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 12
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 45
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)