Feb 2, 2012, 10:59 AM EDT
Buffalo goalie Ryan Miller had another great game last night, shutting out the Rangers on the way to a Sabres loss.
Nope, that wasn’t a typo. New York ended up winning, 1-0, in a shootout. However, Miller’s recent play suggests the former Vezina winner is back on top of his game.
What happens between now and the NHL trade deadline will reveal how the Sabres feel about Miller and a few others. He has a 0.63 goals-against average and .976 save percentage in his last three games. The better he plays, the greater his value. The better he plays, the more tempted they are to keep him.
And that’s what makes the coming weeks so intriguing. Do they trade him with the idea they can make significant upgrades in other areas, assuming they can find a trading partner to take his salary? Or do they keep him with the risk he’ll have another season like this one?
When asked about the possibility of being traded, Miller replied, “If they came to me and said they wanted to move me, I would want to know why. That hasn’t been the case. No one has ever asked about my feelings regarding players and movement, especially with myself. People think there’s more discussion being done behind the scenes than there really is.”
Miller has two years remaining on a contract with a cap hit of $6.25 million. If the Sabres wanted to trade him, they probably could. But would they?
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 5
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 7
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)