Feb 2, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
The NHL has launched an investigation into a scoreboard malfunction (if you believe that’s what it was) last night in Los Angeles that allowed the Kings to score the game-winning goal versus the Blue Jackets when time should’ve already expired.
Colin Campbell, the league’s senior VP of hockey operations, spoke with the Globe and Mail this morning to explain how the NHL’s video room could’ve missed the temporarily stalled clock that gave the home team the extra second it needed to put the puck in the net.
“We didn’t even look to go back and say ‘OK, did something happen (with the clock)?“’ Campbell said. “When it crosses the line (and) you review it, you back the puck out and you see what the clock was. And the clock was 0.4 (seconds).
“And then after the game, minutes after the game, we see (it and say) ‘Holy cow.“’
At the very least, you can’t accuse Campbell of ducking the truth when he uses the phrase, “Holy cow.” Pretty sure that it’s not in the PR bible.
The Globe says it’s not clear if the result of the game will stand. However, it’s hard to imagine how the NHL could take a point away from the Kings when L.A. could’ve still won in overtime or a shootout.
The two teams meet once more this season, in Columbus on March 8. Could the league make them play an overtime session? And if it did, would it then be the Kings who end up getting screwed? In this case, out of a home-ice advantage.
Update: Campbell told ESPN.com that whatever the investigation turns up, the result will stand.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 2
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)