Feb 2, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
The NHL has launched an investigation into a scoreboard malfunction (if you believe that’s what it was) last night in Los Angeles that allowed the Kings to score the game-winning goal versus the Blue Jackets when time should’ve already expired.
Colin Campbell, the league’s senior VP of hockey operations, spoke with the Globe and Mail this morning to explain how the NHL’s video room could’ve missed the temporarily stalled clock that gave the home team the extra second it needed to put the puck in the net.
“We didn’t even look to go back and say ‘OK, did something happen (with the clock)?“’ Campbell said. “When it crosses the line (and) you review it, you back the puck out and you see what the clock was. And the clock was 0.4 (seconds).
“And then after the game, minutes after the game, we see (it and say) ‘Holy cow.“’
At the very least, you can’t accuse Campbell of ducking the truth when he uses the phrase, “Holy cow.” Pretty sure that it’s not in the PR bible.
The Globe says it’s not clear if the result of the game will stand. However, it’s hard to imagine how the NHL could take a point away from the Kings when L.A. could’ve still won in overtime or a shootout.
The two teams meet once more this season, in Columbus on March 8. Could the league make them play an overtime session? And if it did, would it then be the Kings who end up getting screwed? In this case, out of a home-ice advantage.
Update: Campbell told ESPN.com that whatever the investigation turns up, the result will stand.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22