Feb 2, 2012, 6:31 PM EST
Despite a five-game winning streak, a spot in the playoffs remains unlikely for the Tampa Bay Lightning. Prior to tonight’s contest versus Winnipeg, the Bolts sat nine points back of eighth-place New Jersey in the Eastern Conference.
GM Steve Yzerman knows time is running out on his team’s postseason chances: however, according to The Tampa Tribune, he wants to wait a few more games and see where things are at then. At any rate, it’s not like trade talks have reached a boiling point around the league.
“I think everyone is kind of feeling everyone out right now as far as getting ready for the trade deadline and teams are trying to decide if they are buyers or sellers and what their needs are,” Yzerman said. “At this point, it’s really early for anything to happen right now. All we can do is be prepared to action one way or the other.”
If we could be so bold as to assume the Lightning will be sellers by the Feb. 27 trade deadline, here are a few players that could be moved:
Ryan Malone – The power forward’s name has popped up repeatedly in trade speculation (often to Toronto). Two problems: First, he makes a lot of money and he only has 10 goals in 41 games. Second, he has a no-movement clause that he’d have to waive.
Dominic Moore – A pending UFA with a manageable cap hit ($1.1 million), Moore could be a useful third- or fourth-line center that wins faceoffs and kills penalties.
Pavel Kubina – Already made PHT’s list of defensemen that could be moved at the deadline.
Matt Gilroy – Could be sold to a contender as a cheap ($1 million) depth d-man.
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 8
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 18
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 26
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)