Feb 2, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
Despite a five-game winning streak, a spot in the playoffs remains unlikely for the Tampa Bay Lightning. Prior to tonight’s contest versus Winnipeg, the Bolts sat nine points back of eighth-place New Jersey in the Eastern Conference.
GM Steve Yzerman knows time is running out on his team’s postseason chances: however, according to The Tampa Tribune, he wants to wait a few more games and see where things are at then. At any rate, it’s not like trade talks have reached a boiling point around the league.
“I think everyone is kind of feeling everyone out right now as far as getting ready for the trade deadline and teams are trying to decide if they are buyers or sellers and what their needs are,” Yzerman said. “At this point, it’s really early for anything to happen right now. All we can do is be prepared to action one way or the other.”
If we could be so bold as to assume the Lightning will be sellers by the Feb. 27 trade deadline, here are a few players that could be moved:
Ryan Malone – The power forward’s name has popped up repeatedly in trade speculation (often to Toronto). Two problems: First, he makes a lot of money and he only has 10 goals in 41 games. Second, he has a no-movement clause that he’d have to waive.
Dominic Moore – A pending UFA with a manageable cap hit ($1.1 million), Moore could be a useful third- or fourth-line center that wins faceoffs and kills penalties.
Pavel Kubina – Already made PHT’s list of defensemen that could be moved at the deadline.
Matt Gilroy – Could be sold to a contender as a cheap ($1 million) depth d-man.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 6
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 51
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)