Feb 2, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
Despite a five-game winning streak, a spot in the playoffs remains unlikely for the Tampa Bay Lightning. Prior to tonight’s contest versus Winnipeg, the Bolts sat nine points back of eighth-place New Jersey in the Eastern Conference.
GM Steve Yzerman knows time is running out on his team’s postseason chances: however, according to The Tampa Tribune, he wants to wait a few more games and see where things are at then. At any rate, it’s not like trade talks have reached a boiling point around the league.
“I think everyone is kind of feeling everyone out right now as far as getting ready for the trade deadline and teams are trying to decide if they are buyers or sellers and what their needs are,” Yzerman said. “At this point, it’s really early for anything to happen right now. All we can do is be prepared to action one way or the other.”
If we could be so bold as to assume the Lightning will be sellers by the Feb. 27 trade deadline, here are a few players that could be moved:
Ryan Malone – The power forward’s name has popped up repeatedly in trade speculation (often to Toronto). Two problems: First, he makes a lot of money and he only has 10 goals in 41 games. Second, he has a no-movement clause that he’d have to waive.
Dominic Moore – A pending UFA with a manageable cap hit ($1.1 million), Moore could be a useful third- or fourth-line center that wins faceoffs and kills penalties.
Pavel Kubina – Already made PHT’s list of defensemen that could be moved at the deadline.
Matt Gilroy – Could be sold to a contender as a cheap ($1 million) depth d-man.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 0
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 33
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 23
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 48
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)