Feb 2, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
Despite a five-game winning streak, a spot in the playoffs remains unlikely for the Tampa Bay Lightning. Prior to tonight’s contest versus Winnipeg, the Bolts sat nine points back of eighth-place New Jersey in the Eastern Conference.
GM Steve Yzerman knows time is running out on his team’s postseason chances: however, according to The Tampa Tribune, he wants to wait a few more games and see where things are at then. At any rate, it’s not like trade talks have reached a boiling point around the league.
“I think everyone is kind of feeling everyone out right now as far as getting ready for the trade deadline and teams are trying to decide if they are buyers or sellers and what their needs are,” Yzerman said. “At this point, it’s really early for anything to happen right now. All we can do is be prepared to action one way or the other.”
If we could be so bold as to assume the Lightning will be sellers by the Feb. 27 trade deadline, here are a few players that could be moved:
Ryan Malone – The power forward’s name has popped up repeatedly in trade speculation (often to Toronto). Two problems: First, he makes a lot of money and he only has 10 goals in 41 games. Second, he has a no-movement clause that he’d have to waive.
Dominic Moore – A pending UFA with a manageable cap hit ($1.1 million), Moore could be a useful third- or fourth-line center that wins faceoffs and kills penalties.
Pavel Kubina – Already made PHT’s list of defensemen that could be moved at the deadline.
Matt Gilroy – Could be sold to a contender as a cheap ($1 million) depth d-man.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 0
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)