Feb 2, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
Despite a five-game winning streak, a spot in the playoffs remains unlikely for the Tampa Bay Lightning. Prior to tonight’s contest versus Winnipeg, the Bolts sat nine points back of eighth-place New Jersey in the Eastern Conference.
GM Steve Yzerman knows time is running out on his team’s postseason chances: however, according to The Tampa Tribune, he wants to wait a few more games and see where things are at then. At any rate, it’s not like trade talks have reached a boiling point around the league.
“I think everyone is kind of feeling everyone out right now as far as getting ready for the trade deadline and teams are trying to decide if they are buyers or sellers and what their needs are,” Yzerman said. “At this point, it’s really early for anything to happen right now. All we can do is be prepared to action one way or the other.”
If we could be so bold as to assume the Lightning will be sellers by the Feb. 27 trade deadline, here are a few players that could be moved:
Ryan Malone – The power forward’s name has popped up repeatedly in trade speculation (often to Toronto). Two problems: First, he makes a lot of money and he only has 10 goals in 41 games. Second, he has a no-movement clause that he’d have to waive.
Dominic Moore – A pending UFA with a manageable cap hit ($1.1 million), Moore could be a useful third- or fourth-line center that wins faceoffs and kills penalties.
Pavel Kubina – Already made PHT’s list of defensemen that could be moved at the deadline.
Matt Gilroy – Could be sold to a contender as a cheap ($1 million) depth d-man.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic