Feb 2, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
The Toronto Star reports a simmering feud between former NHL enforcer Georges Laraque and Toronto GM Brian Burke over sales of a Maple Leafs team jacket trimmed with real coyote fur.
Laraque wrote Burke a letter asking him to reverse the organizational decision that endorses the jacket.
“Coyotes and other animals trapped for their fur often suffer for days before dying of exposure, frostbite, shock or infection,” Laraque wrote in his letter, sponsored by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). “Mother coyotes, desperate to return to their young, often chew off their own limbs in an attempt to free themselves.
“On fur farms, animals are kept in cramped, filthy cages before being bludgeoned, gassed or even skinned alive.”
Laraque also released the letter publicly, a move that rankled Burke.
“Georges is a good man, and passionate in his views,” Burke told The Star. “I respect him, but I do not share his opinions on this topic.
“I had assumed the letter was a personal one, and was not impressed when I learned the media also received it.”
Burke said the Leafs won’t change their mind on the issue.
The jacket is made by Canada Goose and still advertised online at Real Sports Apparel, though a call placed by The Star revealed the store had sold out with no plans to order more. PETA claims it has sent several letters to Canada Goose over the years urging the company to reconsider its use of fur.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)