Feb 2, 2012, 6:28 PM EST
The Toronto Star reports a simmering feud between former NHL enforcer Georges Laraque and Toronto GM Brian Burke over sales of a Maple Leafs team jacket trimmed with real coyote fur.
Laraque wrote Burke a letter asking him to reverse the organizational decision that endorses the jacket.
“Coyotes and other animals trapped for their fur often suffer for days before dying of exposure, frostbite, shock or infection,” Laraque wrote in his letter, sponsored by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). “Mother coyotes, desperate to return to their young, often chew off their own limbs in an attempt to free themselves.
“On fur farms, animals are kept in cramped, filthy cages before being bludgeoned, gassed or even skinned alive.”
Laraque also released the letter publicly, a move that rankled Burke.
“Georges is a good man, and passionate in his views,” Burke told The Star. “I respect him, but I do not share his opinions on this topic.
“I had assumed the letter was a personal one, and was not impressed when I learned the media also received it.”
Burke said the Leafs won’t change their mind on the issue.
The jacket is made by Canada Goose and still advertised online at Real Sports Apparel, though a call placed by The Star revealed the store had sold out with no plans to order more. PETA claims it has sent several letters to Canada Goose over the years urging the company to reconsider its use of fur.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)