Feb 2, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
Are we about to see another prime trade candidate come off the market by signing an extension with his current club? That’s the speculation in Toronto, where Mikhail Grabovski’s agent, Gary Greenstin, is in town to visit his client and possibly meet with Leafs management.
As reported by the Toronto Sun, when Greenstin was asked if he’d be speaking with GM Brian Burke, he replied: “You’ll see. I usually don’t make comments during negotiations. But I will say that Mikhail loves Toronto and the organization and would like to stay.
“Brian Burke has to do the best for the team. I have to do the best for my player. Right now, the best for my player is to stay with the Leafs.”
If the Leafs are willing to talk extension with the pending UFA, Grabovski couldn’t have picked a better time to get hot. The 28-year-old has nine points in his last four games and was just named the NHL’s first star of the week.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 0
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 12
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 65
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)