Feb 2, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
Are we about to see another prime trade candidate come off the market by signing an extension with his current club? That’s the speculation in Toronto, where Mikhail Grabovski’s agent, Gary Greenstin, is in town to visit his client and possibly meet with Leafs management.
As reported by the Toronto Sun, when Greenstin was asked if he’d be speaking with GM Brian Burke, he replied: “You’ll see. I usually don’t make comments during negotiations. But I will say that Mikhail loves Toronto and the organization and would like to stay.
“Brian Burke has to do the best for the team. I have to do the best for my player. Right now, the best for my player is to stay with the Leafs.”
If the Leafs are willing to talk extension with the pending UFA, Grabovski couldn’t have picked a better time to get hot. The 28-year-old has nine points in his last four games and was just named the NHL’s first star of the week.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 56
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 26
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 45
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (59)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)