Feb 2, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
Are we about to see another prime trade candidate come off the market by signing an extension with his current club? That’s the speculation in Toronto, where Mikhail Grabovski’s agent, Gary Greenstin, is in town to visit his client and possibly meet with Leafs management.
As reported by the Toronto Sun, when Greenstin was asked if he’d be speaking with GM Brian Burke, he replied: “You’ll see. I usually don’t make comments during negotiations. But I will say that Mikhail loves Toronto and the organization and would like to stay.
“Brian Burke has to do the best for the team. I have to do the best for my player. Right now, the best for my player is to stay with the Leafs.”
If the Leafs are willing to talk extension with the pending UFA, Grabovski couldn’t have picked a better time to get hot. The 28-year-old has nine points in his last four games and was just named the NHL’s first star of the week.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)