Feb 2, 2012, 9:24 PM EDT
The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater indulged in some rare trade rumor talk based on word that St. Louis Blues power forward Chris Stewart might be on the block. His stance is pretty logical: the Colorado Avalanche should try to get Stewart back if he is indeed available.
Why Colorado might covet Chris
Dater emphasizes that Stewart wasn’t happy with being moved and still has plenty of friends on the team. More importantly, he has been disappointing this season for St. Louis and the Avalanche miss his size in their top six forwards, so a deal would make some sense for both sides.
(I’m not so sure that St. Louis would be getting equal value if they move Stewart for fellow struggling scorer David Jones, which Dater discusses as a possible match, though.)
Blues might want more for Stewart, though
The Blues boast a deep offense so it’s quite possible that Stewart could be expendable, but at the same time, big forwards only become more valuable as goals become tougher to come by. Granted, St. Louis is unusually robust on offense, but that could be a real strength in the playoffs.
I’m not so sure I’d move Stewart with his value at a middling level – unless they can get someone who adds a better dimension to their team rather than another hot-and-cold scorer. (Perhaps someone who can add a little zip to their power play?)
What do you think, though? Should the Avalanche try to reunite Stewart with a team he didn’t want to leave? Might there be unresolved issues that expedited his departure in the first place? Share your take in the comments.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)