Feb 2, 2012, 9:24 PM EST
The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater indulged in some rare trade rumor talk based on word that St. Louis Blues power forward Chris Stewart might be on the block. His stance is pretty logical: the Colorado Avalanche should try to get Stewart back if he is indeed available.
Why Colorado might covet Chris
Dater emphasizes that Stewart wasn’t happy with being moved and still has plenty of friends on the team. More importantly, he has been disappointing this season for St. Louis and the Avalanche miss his size in their top six forwards, so a deal would make some sense for both sides.
(I’m not so sure that St. Louis would be getting equal value if they move Stewart for fellow struggling scorer David Jones, which Dater discusses as a possible match, though.)
Blues might want more for Stewart, though
The Blues boast a deep offense so it’s quite possible that Stewart could be expendable, but at the same time, big forwards only become more valuable as goals become tougher to come by. Granted, St. Louis is unusually robust on offense, but that could be a real strength in the playoffs.
I’m not so sure I’d move Stewart with his value at a middling level – unless they can get someone who adds a better dimension to their team rather than another hot-and-cold scorer. (Perhaps someone who can add a little zip to their power play?)
What do you think, though? Should the Avalanche try to reunite Stewart with a team he didn’t want to leave? Might there be unresolved issues that expedited his departure in the first place? Share your take in the comments.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 40
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32