Feb 2, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT
If you were expecting the typical round of vague non-answers from the NHL regarding the clock malfunction in Los Angeles, commissioner Gary Bettman isn’t providing them. Bettman acknowledged that human or technological errors could have occurred, but he didn’t dodge the issue, as you can read on NHL.com.
“Not good, not acceptable — if [the clock] had run straight through, the game would have been at a tie at that point, would have gone to overtime,” Bettman said. “And maybe L.A. would have won anyway, maybe not. That’s not the point. We are taking this very seriously.”
“If we had any reason to believe that this was intentional we would deal with it in a whole different way, but we’re going to investigate it, get to the bottom of it.”
Wait, so does this mean that we cannot rely on Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi’s seemingly flawless scientific explanation? Bummer.
The NHL.com story includes this intriguing idea that might give the NHL a little more ammo in avoiding – or at least identifying – these problems in the future.
Bettman added the League’s IT department is in the process of having specially manufactured high-definition cameras installed in the nets prior to the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and he’s asked about a possible “software upgrade or application where if a clock isn’t moving the way it’s supposed to, it’ll set off alarms in the Situation Room in Toronto, so that we can at least know.”
Other Western Conference playoff contenders might be upset that the Kings seemingly got a free point and win, but Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster says his team isn’t crying about it.
Here’s your uncomfortable headline of the day: “Vancouver Grizzlies feel the Blue Jackets’ pain.”
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 13
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 28
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 8
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42