Feb 2, 2012, 10:50 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils looked like they were primed to drop a bad loss to the Montreal Canadiens* but the good and bad news is that wasn’t what tonight’s game was all about.
Instead, the Devils stormed back from a 3-1 deficit to win 5-3 as Ilya Kovalchuk (three assists), Zach Parise (two goals) and even Alexei Ponikarovsky (two helpers) helped New Jersey storm back for a rousing comeback. You can check out the game highlights a little lower in this post, but the most important video of the night featured P.K. Subban catching Adam Larsson with this hit:
Tom Gulitti reports that Devils coach Peter DeBoer believes that Larsson is only dealing with a bruise, but admits that it’s unclear if the budding star will be available for New Jersey this weekend. The initial outlook seems promising, but obviously these situations can change with further evaluations. (Just about everyone believes that Subban’s hit was clean, although you’re welcome to argue otherwise in the comments if you’d like.)
What the Devils do know is that they produced two more standings points, placing them in seventh place in the Eastern Conference with 59 points in 50 games. Watch highlights of how they topped Montreal in the video below.
* – And maybe build to a trend of lowly teams with inexplicable strangleholds on superior ones as the Habs had previously handled the Devils much like the Carolina Hurricanes have taken it to the Boston Bruins.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 53
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)