Feb 2, 2012, 10:50 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils looked like they were primed to drop a bad loss to the Montreal Canadiens* but the good and bad news is that wasn’t what tonight’s game was all about.
Instead, the Devils stormed back from a 3-1 deficit to win 5-3 as Ilya Kovalchuk (three assists), Zach Parise (two goals) and even Alexei Ponikarovsky (two helpers) helped New Jersey storm back for a rousing comeback. You can check out the game highlights a little lower in this post, but the most important video of the night featured P.K. Subban catching Adam Larsson with this hit:
Tom Gulitti reports that Devils coach Peter DeBoer believes that Larsson is only dealing with a bruise, but admits that it’s unclear if the budding star will be available for New Jersey this weekend. The initial outlook seems promising, but obviously these situations can change with further evaluations. (Just about everyone believes that Subban’s hit was clean, although you’re welcome to argue otherwise in the comments if you’d like.)
What the Devils do know is that they produced two more standings points, placing them in seventh place in the Eastern Conference with 59 points in 50 games. Watch highlights of how they topped Montreal in the video below.
* – And maybe build to a trend of lowly teams with inexplicable strangleholds on superior ones as the Habs had previously handled the Devils much like the Carolina Hurricanes have taken it to the Boston Bruins.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)