Feb 2, 2012, 10:50 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils looked like they were primed to drop a bad loss to the Montreal Canadiens* but the good and bad news is that wasn’t what tonight’s game was all about.
Instead, the Devils stormed back from a 3-1 deficit to win 5-3 as Ilya Kovalchuk (three assists), Zach Parise (two goals) and even Alexei Ponikarovsky (two helpers) helped New Jersey storm back for a rousing comeback. You can check out the game highlights a little lower in this post, but the most important video of the night featured P.K. Subban catching Adam Larsson with this hit:
Tom Gulitti reports that Devils coach Peter DeBoer believes that Larsson is only dealing with a bruise, but admits that it’s unclear if the budding star will be available for New Jersey this weekend. The initial outlook seems promising, but obviously these situations can change with further evaluations. (Just about everyone believes that Subban’s hit was clean, although you’re welcome to argue otherwise in the comments if you’d like.)
What the Devils do know is that they produced two more standings points, placing them in seventh place in the Eastern Conference with 59 points in 50 games. Watch highlights of how they topped Montreal in the video below.
* – And maybe build to a trend of lowly teams with inexplicable strangleholds on superior ones as the Habs had previously handled the Devils much like the Carolina Hurricanes have taken it to the Boston Bruins.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)