Feb 2, 2012, 10:50 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils looked like they were primed to drop a bad loss to the Montreal Canadiens* but the good and bad news is that wasn’t what tonight’s game was all about.
Instead, the Devils stormed back from a 3-1 deficit to win 5-3 as Ilya Kovalchuk (three assists), Zach Parise (two goals) and even Alexei Ponikarovsky (two helpers) helped New Jersey storm back for a rousing comeback. You can check out the game highlights a little lower in this post, but the most important video of the night featured P.K. Subban catching Adam Larsson with this hit:
Tom Gulitti reports that Devils coach Peter DeBoer believes that Larsson is only dealing with a bruise, but admits that it’s unclear if the budding star will be available for New Jersey this weekend. The initial outlook seems promising, but obviously these situations can change with further evaluations. (Just about everyone believes that Subban’s hit was clean, although you’re welcome to argue otherwise in the comments if you’d like.)
What the Devils do know is that they produced two more standings points, placing them in seventh place in the Eastern Conference with 59 points in 50 games. Watch highlights of how they topped Montreal in the video below.
* – And maybe build to a trend of lowly teams with inexplicable strangleholds on superior ones as the Habs had previously handled the Devils much like the Carolina Hurricanes have taken it to the Boston Bruins.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)