Feb 2, 2012, 2:52 PM EDT
Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi has weighed in with the most factual, and dorkiest, explanation of what happened to the clock during Wednesday’s controversial 3-2 win over Columbus.
Here’s what he told ESPN via email (all sic’d):
“Those clocks are sophisticated instruments that calculate time by measuring electrical charges called coulombs — given the rapidity and volume of electrons that move through the measuring device the calibrator must adjust at certain points which was the delay you see — the delay is just recalibrating for the clock moving too quickly during the 10 – 10ths of a second before the delay — this insures that the actual playing time during a period is exactly 20 minutes.
That is not an opinion — that is science — amazing devise quite frankly.”
Having re-read Lombardi’s email several times…
1) I’m hoping “The coulombs didn’t recalibrate” catches on. “Hey, did you get my email?” “No.” “Oh weird, guess the coulombs didn’t recalibrate.”
2) Do you think Lombardi offhandedly knew all these intricate details about the Staples Center scoreboard? I like to think so. I also like to think he followed up that email with a 4,569-word missive on the arena’s Wi-Fi capabilities, written entirely from memory.
3) Since when does science prove anything?
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 16
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 20
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)