Feb 1, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs dropped a real heart-breaker last night in Pittsburgh. Leading 4-1 in the third period, they surrendered three unanswered goals, including one with seven seconds remaining, then lost to the Penguins in a shootout.
Tonight the same two teams meet in Toronto, where everyone’s wondering how the home team will respond. The Leafs, after all, haven’t been to the playoffs since 2004 and are right on the bubble this season. If last night’s debacle throws them into a tailspin, they might not be able to recover.
For the Toronto Star, it’s reminiscent of 1972 when Team Canada blew Game 5 in Moscow and needed to win the final three games of the Summit Series against the Soviet Union.
Indeed, the newspaper recalls four “cases where teams bounced back after devastating losses” in hopes the Leafs will find some inspiration tonight.
One was the aforementioned 1972 Summit Series.
Another was the 1975 World Series when the Cincinnati Reds pulled themselves together to win Game 7 after Carlton Fisk’s walk-off homer won Game 6 for the Red Sox.
The two others involved the Blue Jays – the first during the 1992 World Series when Toronto lost Game 5 at home to the Braves with a chance to clinch, only to bounce back and win Game 6 in Atlanta.
The second occurred last July when the Jays blew a game versus the Indians then won the final three games of four-game set. (Then finished the season 81-81, not even close to making the playoffs.)
In conclusion, the Leafs have finally driven Toronto insane.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (83)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)